Premed 101 Forums

UofC Med School Daily Routine

Hey Folks! Just wondering what the start time of classes is each day (I guess for first year). Also are most days jammed full of classes/small group sessions, etc. or are their open blocks during the day/week? How long are they? What do most people do? Study, nap, workout, socialize???

Thanks!!!

Stuff typically starts at 8:30 and ends at 5:30, and we get an hour off for lunch (which was very pleasantly surprising to me as a former grad student). It's a mixture of lectures and small groups, mostly, and the majority of the lectures are podcast so some people don't even come (and attendance at lectures is not mandatory, so it's okay to not come). We get on average 3 half days off a week (some weeks it doesn't happen, but a couple of weeks ago we actually had 4 half days off), but some of those will get filled up with physical exam/clinical core/communications/other things. I don't know, I hear a lot of complaining about about how much time we spend in class, but compared to when I was in grad school, I feel like I actually have a lot more free time now. I guess it depends on what perspective you're coming from. If I have time off, I usually go home and study (or not study and do other things). I don't really study at school, but a lot of people do.

I have heard that you have a lot of options regarding time spent at "school". If you don't learn well in lecture you don't have to go. Time spent studying is apparently quite variable as well. Of course you are learning what you need to know for your career, not the minimum to pass the exam so most people study much more than is necessary to pass. Really it is up to you (from what I've heard).

Source: I know several students at the UofC med program. I have also completed a professional degree in pharmacy which has a similar feel in regards to class time and studying. Trust me, you will want to know the material and feel capable when you are seeing patients. If you don't study, you will be embarrassed in clinic. You have different drivers towards learning than marks and professor encouragement.

Once you are in, it is quite a different feeling.

You no longer study for the sake of getting good mark (Pass/Fail), you know you are learning the basic, and the lecture is taught at a much faster pace. However, don't worry, it is a life long learning career.

I have heard that you have a lot of options regarding time spent at "school". If you don't learn well in lecture you don't have to go. Time spent studying is apparently quite variable as well. Of course you are learning what you need to know for your career, not the minimum to pass the exam so most people study much more than is necessary to pass. Really it is up to you (from what I've heard).

I would say this is quite accurate.

Archived