Premed 101 Forums

How do bursaries work?

so far I understand that bursaries are basically grants given to students who are eligible for student loan.

but are bursaries associated with the school? or the Canadian government or each individual province?

i saw on the UBC website for bursary application but i assume that is only for UBC students. But how about a BC resident who is going to med school in the US? are they illegible for some kinds of bursaries?

thanks

I don't know of any bursaries that you apply for through government means but schools usually have bursary applications that you can fill out where the funding may come from either the school, some organization or the government. If you go for Canadian student loans they sometimes give you a part of the loan as a grant which means you never have to pay that back. I've heard you can also have some part of your non-grant loan "forgiven" which essentially turns that part into a grant. I'm not sure what Canadian loans you can apply for if you're in the US but I would check your specific school for whatever scholarships/bursaries they might offer.

so far I understand that bursaries are basically grants given to students who are eligible for student loan.

but are bursaries associated with the school? or the Canadian government or each individual province?

i saw on the UBC website for bursary application but i assume that is only for UBC students. But how about a BC resident who is going to med school in the US? are they illegible for some kinds of bursaries?

thanks

I can only speak to the bursaries at the school I attend (NOSM)...

For the bursaries organized and administrated by the school we filled out a general information form in a massive spreadsheet file, and extra documentation if we wanted to apply to certain specific bursaries (ones that wanted essays, or proof of residence etc etc). We waited just about forever, then we got emails saying how much we got (many got around 2000, some significantly more, and some got nothing)... it was primarily based on finances, and you were ineligible if you didn't at least apply for OSAP (I got rejected for OSAP but still got the bursary... the reasoning being boring and financial)

there were also some province wide bursaries with various requirements... and periodic our Learner Affairs department forwards us information about other bursaries they are made aware of... So long answer to your short question is that it depends a lot on which bursary, I'm sure there are some that fit your description, so just hit the ground running if/when you get in.

PEI has a government bursary for all Island students. Provided they haven't attended any other post secondary institution, meet the residency requirements, and are entering first year at UPEI, you automatically get $2000 first year, and either $400 or $600 each of the remaining three years of an undergrad.

It's automatic, and the school submits the list of eligible students sometime in August. I'm not terribly familiar with other provinces' post secondary bursaries, but I imagine it is possible that other areas have something like this.

Archived