Premed 101 Forums

Burn Management

Guest 007

Are only plastic surgeons involved in the management of patients with burn injuries? or are there other specialties that play a role in the medical management beyond skin grafts?

I really enjoy working with this patient population and the complexities of the injury, but I'm not sure I want to do plastics.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

As not rex morgan mentioned, ICU or critical care folks often become involved in the management of burn patients. This is especially true in institutions which do not house dedicated burn units. (Those which do have dedicated burn units that are run by the burn surgeons for the most part; however the critical care or trauma staff will often cover call or absences.)

If it's burn surgery that interests you, Plastics is the most common bailiwick into which burns fall. However, it is also possible to be able to manage burn patients by completing a residency in General Surgery with a fellowship in burns.

This summer, I completed a four-week elective in Toronto's burn unit. If burns is something that you fancy I would recommend taking a similar tack. Experience in a burn unit will certainly help provide information on the multitude of services required to manage a burn patient and will give you a better idea of whether that kind of work appeals to you.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived