Premed 101 Forums

EMERGENCY: What books to buy?

BlessedSoul

Hi everyone, I will be writing the MCAT in 2 months, I was wondering which is the best book to buy? EK, BR, Princeton, Kaplan? (what are each of them the best at focusing on?)

Also, is there anyway I can reschedule my MCAT date? Thank-you :)

From what I've heard the BR books take like 6 weeks to be delivered (I may be wrong though) so I would forget those. As for the others Ive only used PR and really liked them (I also took the course).

You can absolutely reschedule your MCAT! I think there might be a fee associated with it though. Just go over your registration email I'm pretty sure there is a bit there about rescheduling.

Good luck!

What's your science background like? My undergrad was in science (lots of orgo chem, physics and biology) and I found the EK study books + the EK 1001 question books to be more than enough, but the other threads have lots to say about the different resources, definitely check them out :)

(I also really liked the 101 Verbal Reasoning Passages book by EK)

What's your science background like? My undergrad was in science (lots of orgo chem, physics and biology) and I found the EK study books + the EK 1001 question books to be more than enough, but the other threads have lots to say about the different resources, definitely check them out :)

(I also really liked the 101 Verbal Reasoning Passages book by EK)

About the EK 1001 though, I got mixed reviews from people saying that it doesn't have the passages so its not good vs. its good set of questions to solidify your knowledge.

What's your take on the 1001 books? recommend it??

I thought EK was the best for verbal - it had the best strategy and its practice questions were more similar to the real MCAT than princeton/kaplan.

Princeton's book for Physical Sciences was really good. However, I thought their Biological Sciences section was overly detailed.

About the EK 1001 though, I got mixed reviews from people saying that it doesn't have the passages so its not good vs. its good set of questions to solidify your knowledge.

What's your take on the 1001 books? recommend it??

I'd say it was definitely great for solidifying knowledge. It was perfect if you're looking for review (maybe not the best if you're starting from scratch though, with no background in any of the material) I took physics in first year, and then last summer (after 3rd year) the EK books and 1001 questions were more than enough for me to review with, and some of the questions build off each other in the book, so you could consider them to be 'passage-like'

In all honesty though, I did go online and find extra questions when studying work and force from the physics manual, just because I hate that part of physics and wanted additional practise :P but other than that, I found the 1001 questions very helpful. I didn't need any extra questions or study materials for the biology, chem, orgo chem and most of the physics (physics isn't my strong suit though, haha)

And the verbal reasoning 101 passages by EK was fantastic, very similar to what I saw on the MCAT, definitely worth getting

Good luck studying :)

Archived