Premed 101 Forums

Specialty specific scholarships - to list, or not to list?

Guest SilkTree

Guest SilkTree

I was hoping someone could give me some advice... I recently found out that there is only ONE application to CaRMS (ie the CV) and that it can not be tweaked for applications to different specialties...

... If I list a scholarship I recieved from a certain discipline (ie. internal medicine), it will be seen by all programs... the issue is, I've changed my mind about what I want to do. How will listing/accepting a scholarship from an area I no longer have interest in look? Will it just make me look greedy? Will it make me look like my application to my new first choice is not well thought out? In all honesty, I wasn't sure what I wanted to do (but was thinking about IM), so I applied for the Internal Scholarship on a whim... I had lots of internal research, so I'm guessing that's why I was selected.

Should I leave it off my application completely?

Guest cheech10

How could any scholarship be a bad thing? Even if you're not going into that field, leave it on as it shows some particular distinction/achievement. Your personal statement, electives, LORs will tell the story about how interested you are in the field you're applying to.

Guest not rex morgan

I wouldn't worry about it. It would be one thing if it was something like an ophthomology scholarship and you were applying for something else. They might think this was your back up. Congrats on the scholarship. You should be proud. Those things are competitive and admissions comittees know that. If anything, it might be something brought up in an interview. (as long as the rest of your application is weighted towards whatever you're interested in now). I had a gen surg interview, and an application heavily weighted towards obs/gyn. I really struggled in the end as to what speciatly I wanted, and came out wanting obs/gyn. (and was matched to obs/gyn). One of the first questions asked in my gen surg interviews was essentially asking me to clarify why ob/gyn was also on my resume. If you sincerely want your newly chosen field, I'm confident that even if called on it, you can explain that you wanted internal for XYZ, and were seen as such a rocking candidate that you got a scholarship, but your heart really lies in your chosen specialtly.

Archived