Premed 101 Forums

Type out your LOR and I will sign :s

I'll be applying to OMSAS med schools this cycle and I'll have a professor of Physics (whom I worked with for 3 years and became close friends outside of school), and a staff Neurologist in Toronto (whom I shadowed/interned for 7 months now and counting and also working on research/software together).

So to the point: I asked them that I'll be needing letters soon and they both agreed without any hesitation. The prof said that he will type it out and will ask me to read it and will ask me to edit it and finally he'll sign it. The neurologist said that he wants me to type it out and he'll sign it without question.

Here's the problem: I do not like to praise myself and stand out on paper. It's difficult especially if they will sign it off. I did not comment on their proposals but would it just be better if they typed it out and I simply submit it? I know they won't say anything negative and I am not really comfortable writing my own letter with the chance of me sounding like an a$$. OR should I simply shut it and take this unorthodox opportunity as a plus.

Please let me know what you think.

Does anybody have a sample LOR that is considered outstanding for medicine?

This system is not actually too unorthodox. It is done quite regularly.

You should certainly take advantage of it and write about your strengths and how you portrayed them. Talk about what you brought forward to the table and the skills that you gained by working with him (e.g critical thinking, approach to patient care, scientific approach, etc.). Finally talk about what kind of person it made out of you. The before and after.

After all, reference letters at most schools are used as a "check mark" and as long as there's nothing too negative about someone, they will give you the check mark.

Good luck.

This is not as unorthodox a request as you might think. Many people who write LORs ask that students do it - obviously they'll be reading it and can refuse to sign it if they don't agree!

I don't have any examples but apparently future_doc gives people a lot of help with personal statements etc, maybe you could PM her and ask for some advice?

Archived