Premed 101 Forums

Learning French to be in a MD program.

Is it possible for a non-francophone to learn french from zero and be considered

in a francophone school.

If you think yes what will it take in terms of university courses required and how

long would it take

suggest a possible route to do this e.g, finish Bach. and learn french while working then apply etc. and the chances of it happening.

Is it possible for a non-francophone to learn french from zero and be considered

in a francophone school.

If you think yes what will it take in terms of university courses required and how

long would it take

suggest a possible route to do this e.g, finish Bach. and learn french while working then apply etc. and the chances of it happening.

I don't want to discourage you, but I think it will be very hard. French has many confusing and not easy grammatical and orthographical rules. If I were you, I would focus more on applying to English schools, because learning French from zero is really not easy.

Also, depending upon the province you come from, there is likely no seat available. For example, there may be an exception if you live out west, are French Canadian and want a French speaking med school. There are severe restrictions for entry. Certain provinces with a francophone community have ententes or agreements with theprovince of Quebec.

Bottom line, for many reasons, it is just not a practical option. And if you come from Quebec and decide you want to go to a French speaking med school, although your schooling was English, you have to score very high in a written French exam in order to qualify for the MMI if you are accepted in the first place.

http://www.med.umontreal.ca/etudes/programme_formation/doctorat_medecine/admission/faq.html#18

No. 15 Q

I am a Canadian citizen but not resident in Quebec, am I admissable to the medicine program at Univ of Montreal?

A

Yes, you are admissable in two categories. If you are entitled to the conditions of the entente between the govt of Quebec and and the governments of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island or if you have qualified as a francophone candidate resding in a Canadian province where medical studies are not offered in French. Please tsake note that the faculty actually makes available 3 places in the first category and one place in the second category.

MEANING AS I UNDERSTAND IT

You have zero chance to obtain a seat in UDEM medical school even with a 4.0 GPA b/c you are not a francophone living in another province!

See http://www.usherbrooke.ca/doctorat-medecine/admission/contingent-de-louest-canadien/

Canadian citizens residing in B.C., Alb, Sask, Manitoba and the Territories include:

Group 1: student whose mother's or father's maternal language is French and who is capable of speaking fluent French. The candidate must prove competency in French.

Group 2: must have studied in French in high school and such school must attest to the competency in French of the candidate.

Group 3: speak fluently in French and must prove this.

MEANING AS I SEE IT: Sherbrooke gives the best chance (b/c of Group 3) in the smallest possible pool.

Contingent de l'Ouest canadien

Définition

Les personnes de ce contingent ont la citoyenneté canadienne (ou le statut de résident permanent du Canada) à la date limite fixée pour le dépôt de la demande d’admission. Elles ont fait la preuve de résider en Colombie-Britannique, en Alberta, en Saskatchewan, au Manitoba ou dans les Territoires. Ces personnes sont incluses dans au moins un des groupes suivants :

Groupe 1 : être fils (ou fille) d’une mère ou d’un père dont la langue maternelle est le français, ainsi que confirmer que lui-même (ou elle-même) est capable de parler couramment le français. Pour permettre à la Faculté de statuer sur son admissibilité, il se pourrait que le candidat ait à faire la preuve de sa compétence linguistique en français.

Groupe 2 : avoir suivi sa formation postsecondaire en français. Pour statuer sur l’admissibilité du candidat, il se pourrait que la Faculté demande à l’institution où la formation postsecondaire a été acquise d’attester de la compétence linguistique en français du candidat.

Groupe 3 : parler couramment le français. Pour permettre à la Faculté de statuer sur son admissibilité, il se pourrait que le candidat ait à faire la preuve de sa compétence linguistique en français.

Remplir une demande d’admission

Révisé le 19 mai 2009Aide et informations supplémentaires

Conditions

Exigence

Processus de sélection

Documents supplémentaires à fournir

Site de formation

Réponse de l'Université de Sherbrooke

Réponse des candidates et candidats

Date limite pour soumettre une demande d'admission

if you are not canadian or permanent resident you can apply in the international category (2 spots per school). ULaval and UdeM require the TFI french test to be admissible. Sherbrooke does not. If you are not francophone but can speak and understand French very well you won't have problems with the TFI. but your French must be pretty good.

Thanks guys for the input... seems like its something i shouldn't waste my time on....oh well.. myth Busted

I like the idea of doing it in cuba... Are Mexican ad Cuban MDs allowed to practice in Canada

It will be hard to get residency here, and your school must be listed in the WHO directory to be even allowed to take the board exams. In which province are you considered IP?

I've spoken French my whole life, but as the majority of my day-to-day interaction (aside from with my kids) is in English, I wouldn't even consider applying to med school in French. I highly doubt that you could, in a few short years, manage to attain the fluency necessary to complete a professional program with the depth of understanding necessary in medicine.

Maybe, just maybe, if you completely immersed yourself in French. Moved to Québec, lived and worked and learned in French communities and schools, but even then it is a solid 'maybe.' A friend of mine picked up and moved to France, speaking barely a word of French, and was fluent in a few years but it wasn't easy.

One of my classmates had to take the TIF test because he went to an english cegep. He actually understands and can speak french quite well, but he didn't pass it... it seems it's actually pretty hard!

Hard that it asks a lot about grammatical exception rules, even me who did HS and cegep in French (and passed the Epreuve Uniforme de francais) would have difficulty with this. Maybe UdeM is doing this on purpose to discriminate against anglophones.

And before someone throws at me the UdeM wants good French speakers argument, there are teachers at UdeM who have many difficulties with speaking French.

It really depends how motivated you are to learn french.

It also helps if you're "naturally good" at learning languages or related subjects.

The only "true" way to actually learn a language insanely quickly (which is what I did) was to immerse yourself in a french speaking country where you have no choice but to speak french. I only started french when I was 13 because I'm originally from new zealand, but i went on a student exchange program when i was 17 for 6 months to france and i learnt probably more in two weeks than I did in the 4 years I did in high school.

My advice would be to go to a place where absolutely no one speaks english, hopefully through an exchange program or something similar where you have the support at least of a family (for daily interactions) and get a job or something for 6 months. I highly suggest not going to montreal because there are far too many anglophones, in fact you could live in montreal without knowing one word of french (half of the anglophones here know this:).

By the way I got a 950/990 on the TFI, and I've been speaking english for the majority of the time i've been in montreal. I just happen to like languages :P

My biggest piece of advice for ANY language learner is to speak as much as possible. DO NOT WORRY IF YOU MAKE MISTAKES. This is possibly one of the reasons why people never become fluent in a language because they are too "afraid" of making mistakes or being embarrassed. Mistakes are the most important thing you can do when learning a language.

Hard that it asks a lot about grammatical exception rules, even me who did HS and cegep in French (and passed the Epreuve Uniforme de francais) would have difficulty with this. Maybe UdeM is doing this on purpose to discriminate against anglophones.

And before someone throws at me the UdeM wants good French speakers argument, there are teachers at UdeM who have many difficulties with speaking French.

Well, i'd have to disagree with you.. I believe that language learning, unlike many other types of learning, is really dependent on the individual some people are just naturally good at it.

Others can try for years and still be miserable at it.

Archived