• NS
    • OOP
    • PEI
    • NB

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not sure...

I know a few years back (during the accreditation worries), that Dal went completely through the OOP waitlist, and had to accept a few OOP people that were previously rejected.

So I'm not sure if that means they have expanded their waitlist in all categories to prevent this mishap from recurring.

Hopefully this poll will give us an idea.

Good luck to all!

• 2 weeks later...
I just found out that a friend of mine got accepted off the waitlist yesterday (OOP) and she will definitely be attending.

So the waitlist is definitely moving (1/9 filled for sure).

Apparently the OOP waitlist is moving- has there been no movement on the NS waitlist at all?!

To correct from above...

Good-ish news. My friend got of the "OOP waitlist" at Mac NOT Dal. She thought we were both on the Mac OOP waitlist from when we spoke last.

Sorry for the confusion. I think I need to take a premed101 break before I stress anyone else out.

Can we hope they are waiting until June or something to move the waitlists? Or is that just wishful thinking? I can't believe that no one has posted any definite waitlist movement.

So we're all freaking out about the waitlist not moving yet, but if you look at the forum for last year it wasn't that different. One girl got in for NB off the list in April. This was likely because someone declined and went to MUN instead. This wouldn't even apply to any on the NS list, since it's a very small percentage of NS residents who would be accepted/choose MUN in any given year. One other girl heard a rumor May 13 that a friend of a friend got in... That doesn't even really seem likely because Ontario acceptances hadn't come out yet and other school acceptances (McGill etc.) had been out for awhile so it's an odd time for the waitlist to be moving. The waitlist based on Ontario acceptances for IP actually started moving June 9th last year (according to the forum of course), so I don't think we need to panic just yet. More than one person heard that week too, so admissions probably waits a little while so they don't waste time notifying people one at a time, but rather inform a group. I suspect it will start moving the end of next week or early the following week.

The unfortunate fact was that only 5 people form the forum got in between June 9th and September, but we can always hope it will move more this year.

It's also worthy to note that at least two people have taken themselves off the IP waitlist because they are attending U of T instead. Both of these individuals were obviously very competitive, as can be seen by their stats and the fact that they got into U of T. They were likely high up on the NS IP waitlist, and this will therefore benefit more of us. Guess I'm full of optimism today haha

One last thought and then I'll try to keep my neuroticism to myself. There seems to be a lot of people on the IP Waitlist who are on it for a second+ time. With the forum + people I know personally there are at least 5. If the waitlist is around 20 people, 5 is statistically significant IMO. Not sure if this is a good thing/bad thing/doesn't matter at all but it is interesting.

Yes, I agree. I noticed that both gecko and I were on the waitlist again and thought that 2/20 was pretty surprising. However, as much as I don't want to be a downer, I don't think we really have any idea how long the IP waitlist is. It could easily be over 20 people, which would decrease the statistical anomaly of 5 people being on the IP waitlist for two years in a row and even further the school's reasoning for not disclosing our positions. If one found out she was spot 30, she'd probably make alternative plans for the fall other than banking on medical school. Since the school ran out of waitlist positions two years ago during the whole accreditation issue, they don't want to again be forced to call rejected people who already have made other plans for the fall (although, frankly, I'd drop everything).

After being on the waitlist all last summer and not getting in, I'm trying really hard to not let my hope of admission this September affect my career choices for the coming year. As I described last year, being on the waitlist is like getting dumped every two weeks. You hear about movement, get excited, and then nobody calls.

Man, I AM being a total Debbie Downer. Alright, math fun: who wants to come up with a formula to approximate the number of students on the IP waitlist using information on past acceptances off the list, the likelihood of knowing about this forum, the likelihood of answering the survey (ie. valuing the forum enough to have a login), and any other parameters of interest? We can try to approximate values.....

Hey, quick question. I noticed that a couple of people have called the admissions office to inquire about the status of the OOP waitlist and have gotten replies. Has anyone from Nova Scotia called and asked about the IP waitlist? It just seems strange that we know that the OOP waitlist is moving and we have heard very little about the NS waitlist other then speculation.

Archived