Waitlisted for Dal

waitlisted as:  

1 member has voted

1. 1. waitlisted as:

• NS
    • OOP
    • PEI
    • NB

Hey, quick question. I noticed that a couple of people have called the admissions office to inquire about the status of the OOP waitlist and have gotten replies. Has anyone from Nova Scotia called and asked about the IP waitlist? It just seems strange that we know that the OOP waitlist is moving and we have heard very little about the NS waitlist other then speculation.

I was thinking the same thing. Someone should definitely consider taking that initiative and letting the rest of us know :P

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last year by this date, only ONE person was RUMORED to have been off the waitlist so far. There are a few med schools in Ontario and out West that just started their waitlist movement this week, not to mention it was only a week ago today that people had to accept their initial offer for Ontario schools. It takes a while for that trickle effect to make it to Dal. People don't find out they get into an Ontario school and jump on the phone to let Dal know. They get their ducks in a row with their school of choice first. I'm sure there's people who haven't called Dal yet and will.

Also, the chances that 4 people got off the waitlist into Ontario schools, but no one accepted to Dal got into/chose an Ontario school is statistically unlikely. I doubt that has ever happened.

Just think of it in math terms people: the chances that absolutely no one will remove themselves from the IP class this summer? Pretty slim I'd say. No need to panic yet. That being said, it will do nothing for anyone's sanity to bank on getting in off the waitlist this summer. Chances are it will only be a couple of us. We should plan as if we're not getting in, as much as that sucks.

After being on the waitlist all last summer and not getting in, I'm trying really hard to not let my hope of admission this September affect my career choices for the coming year. As I described last year, being on the waitlist is like getting dumped every two weeks. You hear about movement, get excited, and then nobody calls.

I know what you mean.

We should plan as if we're not getting in, as much as that sucks.

This is the obvious bottom line. Too bad that it is so much easier said than done. If find that, though I try to ignore it, the hope of admission still lingers in the background when I contemplate various less appealing options for September.

This is the obvious bottom line. Too bad that it is so much easier said than done. If find that, though I try to ignore it, the hope of admission still lingers in the background when I contemplate various less appealing options for September.

I 100% agree. It's easy for me to say to forget about it, but it's not like it's possible for me to actually do. I wish I never found this forum - I think it's the main thing that keeps me going with hope when I should be forgetting about the possibility of it happening. I've even started creeping the entire country's premed101 forums to see if I can find anyone who got into Dal, etc. It's a sickness. :(

......... I've even started creeping the entire country's premed101 forums to see if I can find anyone who got into Dal, etc. It's a sickness. :(

Hahaha. I did the same thing. Crept around the MUN forums when their decisions were sent to see if any of them were opting out of Dal. I was going to do the same for the Ontario schools but then I stopped myself thinking that perhaps that would have been just a little too obsessive. :)

It's annoying being up in the air about the start date of training for one's preferred career. But I'm calmer about that these days. After all, life is bigger than any one career. :)

Hahaha I wish I stopped myself before checking the Ontario forums! But hey, at least I can keep you guys informed if anything noteworthy happens :P

I also have extended periods of time now where I'm calm about the whole thing. It is frustrating but life is so much bigger, it's true.

Is anyone on here waitlisted for another school too? Anyone have any good plan B for the fall? That's the part I hate the most I think. Not knowing what to do next!

Hahaha I wish I stopped myself before checking the Ontario forums! But hey, at least I can keep you guys informed if anything noteworthy happens :P

I also have extended periods of time now where I'm calm about the whole thing. It is frustrating but life is so much bigger, it's true.

Is anyone on here waitlisted for another school too? Anyone have any good plan B for the fall? That's the part I hate the most I think. Not knowing what to do next!

I'm only on the wait list for DAL NB, and my Plan B for the fall is to find a job of some kind. I keep checking the job banks every day, but I'm almost hoping that I don't see anything until July. I'm getting married then leaving for my honeymoon at the first of next month, and I doubt that there's many employers that would be happy with me taking 2 weeks vacation after working for only one... :P

The waitlist movement is really starting to slow down/stop for every other school in Canada. Everyone is commenting that things are moving less than usual. Other years, Ontario waitlists are usually full by June 20th but it looks like it might be even earlier this year. It's not looking good guys :(

The waitlist movement is really starting to slow down/stop for every other school in Canada. Everyone is commenting that things are moving less than usual. Other years, Ontario waitlists are usually full by June 20th but it looks like it might be even earlier this year. It's not looking good guys :(

It does not look good indeed. For those on the IP waitlist, I think the best thing for you to do at the moment is to remove yourself from the list. That way, you can focus on other endeavours. :)

It does not look good indeed. For those on the IP waitlist, I think the best thing for you to do at the moment is to remove yourself from the list. That way, you can focus on other endeavours. :)

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm sure you made it out of the goodness of your heart :P On an unrelated note, has anyone called the office this week about the IP waitlist? It seems weird that there is still no movement.

So I realized that I was incorrect in one of my earlier posts. Last year I said that it was June 9th that the first people got in off the waitlist from Onatrio acceptances. This is true, however last year acceptances for Ontario schools was May 5th, not May 15th. That means that it was 5 weeks from the release of ontario acceptances that Dal's list moved. Following that for this year, it's not until June 19th that it should be expected that the list moves - a whole other week to go yet before IP waitlist movement will officially be slower than last year

+1

Yeah, pull out now. I just pulled myself off the list. It's completely and utterly futile at this point since it's abundantly clear the list will simply never move.

Better get started on next year's app :(

So I realized that I was incorrect in one of my earlier posts. Last year I said that it was June 9th that the first people got in off the waitlist from Onatrio acceptances. This is true, however last year acceptances for Ontario schools was May 5th, not May 15th. That means that it was 5 weeks from the release of ontario acceptances that Dal's list moved. Following that for this year, it's not until June 19th that it should be expected that the list moves - a whole other week to go yet before IP waitlist movement will officially be slower than last year

Good to know.

Yeah, pull out now. I just pulled myself off the list. It's completely and utterly futile at this point since it's abundantly clear the list will simply never move.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm sure you made it out of the goodness of your heart :P

You see cherbear, some people did take my *cough* thoughtful *cough* suggestion seriously. *Shifty eyes* I'm taking myself off the list too! :P

You see cherbear, some people did take my *cough* thoughtful *cough* suggestion seriously. *Shifty eyes* I'm taking myself off the list too! :P

I have to admit, you are very amusing, and I hope that when the list moves we both get lucky, since clearly everyone else has listened to your kind words of wisdom and withdrawn.

I called on Tuesday and Carolyn's voicemail says she is out of the office until next week. I decided to call back next week since I have no urgent question.

Maybe if she was on vacation and she's the one in charge of waitlist movement notification, the waitlist will start moving when she gets back?! I still think it's next to impossible for the waitlist to not move AT ALL, but at the same time, it's getting pretty late. I really am insane. I'm not giving up though as much as I know I should (I'll probably regret that in August haha)

Maybe if she was on vacation and she's the one in charge of waitlist movement notification, the waitlist will start moving when she gets back?! I still think it's next to impossible for the waitlist to not move AT ALL, but at the same time, it's getting pretty late. I really am insane. I'm not giving up though as much as I know I should (I'll probably regret that in August haha)

I had that same thought/hope. HOWEVER, the bad news is that I called today and inquired about the extent of movement on the IP list. She said that it was "very quiet" on that front, but she was not allowed to be more specific than that.

Still won't schedule an appointment for feedback on my application.

Archived