1. 1. waitlisted as:

• NS
    • OOP
    • PEI
    • NB

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw that U of T released people low on their waitlist last week - I assume to be kind and put them out of their mysery and free them to make plans for the fall. I emailed Dal admissions last week and asked if they did that or if they could give me ANY information on waitlist movement. The response I got was this:

"We do not provide that type of information regarding the waitlist.

Sincerely,

Carolyn Pelham"

I don't see any advantage for Dal in keeping this information so close to the chest. I guess Dal hasn't bought into the culture of customer service in academia. Bad form from where I'm sitting - the other schools seem to care about the mental well being of their potential students, Dal- what's their motivation for being completely silent? Makes me wonder how satisfied students at Dal are with administration...

Sorry I can't provide any hope or relief for everyone on the thread - but Dal's not talking...

I completely agree and I find it quite aggravating at this point. As another example of their superiority complex, apparently last year they were "quite disappointed" when people who got feedback interviews tried to rank themseles based on their scores. What the heck was there to be disappointed about? What else would you expect type-A personalities to do when their future is hanging in the balance? I am confident that it is that "disappointing behaviour" that is the reason we can't get feedback interviews this year and it's ridiculous.

I can only think of two reasons for why they are like this. a) They are obsessed with "prestige" and since they went through the whole waitlist two years ago they think that makes them look bad so they won't share. That and they just think they're achieving something by being secretive. It is not time consuming to share information that they already have anyway, so they should stop wasting their time using that as an excuse B) It's not a set waitlist and they pick and choose who comes off the waitlist based on who backs out. In that case, who cares? They're allowed to do that as far as I know, and would it kill them to at least be honest?

They are so bizarre about this whole thing I was nervous to post because I thought that they would figure out who I was somehow and take me off the list as punishment for saying all of this. At this point I doubt that's completely unfounded paranoia. It was always my dream to go to Dal and spend my life and career in NS, but they've made it pretty clear. They don't want me, and they're certainly not interested and helping me improve for them next year.

I completely agree with shallin and honeybee3: I had a bit of a mental breakdown earlier this week over this whole situation. This school definitely needs to revise its policy with regard to waitlisted applicants. 2012 is supposed to be the year that more attention is given to mental health. Well, this process is mentally torturous.

McMaster and Queens have both sent out their "class is full" emails so there will be no more movement (maybe 1 or 2 people) on the waitlist this summer. The usual trend is that the Ontario school "classes are full" emails are all within a week of each other so I suspect the rest of the emails will come very soon. Not that anyone had much hope left, but I'd say it's pretty much over. Any movement now would just be people who are holding out on their final choice of school (like Tarik B). I suspect that's next to no one at this point. Enjoy your summer guys! Seeya next year (although hopefully not on the waitlist :P )

I popped in to ask Carolyn a couple questions about my new application and she told me that they are trying to get feedback scores to everyone on the NS waitlist (although they may be including other lists, she only referenced the one that I am on).

It sounded to me like the only delay was technical/logistical, ie. how to get them to everyone (email, posted online, etc.). No feedback interviews though, but at least some numbers to crunch/interpret/overanalyze (at least in my case).

I popped in to ask Carolyn a couple questions about my new application and she told me that they are trying to get feedback scores to everyone on the NS waitlist (although they may be including other lists, she only referenced the one that I am on).

It sounded to me like the only delay was technical/logistical, ie. how to get them to everyone (email, posted online, etc.). No feedback interviews though, but at least some numbers to crunch/interpret/overanalyze (at least in my case).

I just got an email in my inbox to this effect, so I guess they will start sharing the information next week?

Hey, I'm just curious, but has anyone heard of anyone being offered a position since Corneld declined the spot they were offered to go to U of T? It seems like it would have been offered out by now, so maybe it was given to someone who doesn't post here?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived