Premed 101 Forums

Interviews!

Guest McMastergirl

Guest McMastergirl

How is everyone doing with those interviews? Anyone have any interviewing tips? Ian Wong posted a good one in the McMaster forum, about thinking ahead of time of patients/clinical situations you've had that illustrate your personality.

Also, does anyone have any thoughts about how to approach an interview at a school you've never been to? Or for a specialty that is obviously a second choice (looking at your electives)?

MMG

• 11 months later...
Guest borboleta10

Thought I'd move this post up....

Does anyone want to discuss interview experiences, or give any tips?

I know I've been worrying about dumb things, like whether there will be places to leave my coat and suitcase, and fix myself up after long hours on a plane/bus/train....

Do you need to bring anything with you (like your cv, your personal statement) etc.?

Guest not rex morgan

I don't think it can hurt to bring your info. I'm bringing my CVs, abstracts etc. I had also heard that it would be a good idea to bring a photo of yourself, although I have trouble imagining a circumstance where I would be pulling out a photo to present to the committee. I have had one interview so far. (they gave us the opportunity to interview during an away elective). I think going into interviews, you really have to stick to the basics that you went by for your med interviews. Walk in with a thankful attitude for getting the opportunity to interview. Try to remember that they are just getting to know you. Understand that there may be difficult questions so you don't get overwhelmed when they come your way. Make eye contact, and think out your answers before you start rambling...and don't fidget ;) I imagine it gets easier as you go on.

Guest McMastergirl

I bought myself a nice portfolio and brought my CV and application information with me to review as I waited. Also extra paper and a pen to jot down ideas and/or questions you have, plus names of people you meet.

Guest not rex morgan

Hey guys. I just wanted to raise the point that I just got an email from one of the programs I'm interviewing with, and they requested we bring passport-sized photos to the interview. I thought that might be some useful info now, as I would not have gotten any if that program didn't request them. I guess I take back my previous comment about not anticipating photos being asked for.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived