Premed 101 Forums

Transportation to campus

Does anyone commute from Mississauga? Drive or Go-Train? Is it reasonable?

I am considering commuting from Brampton and I tried it out today during mid-day non-peak hours. Verdict: not the best option, not bad in a pinch.

I think I want to live closer and I could always drive home if necessary.

I am considering commuting from Brampton and I tried it out today during mid-day non-peak hours. Verdict: not the best option, not bad in a pinch.

I think I want to live closer and I could always drive home if necessary.

I'm thinking if it takes like 30min via the 407, it'll be okay with me. I hope it doesn't take much longer.

Does anyone commute from Mississauga? Drive or Go-Train? Is it reasonable?

I knew some people who commuted from Mississauga by GO Bus.

It's entirely doable, but can get tiring and/or inconvenient with the timing of buses.

Half of them ended up moving to Hamilton anyways (for the convenience of sleeping in every morning)

You could always take 407 to 403 intersection and then transfer over to 403 the rest of the way. With a transponder, that will cost about $5 from 407@Mississauga Rd. to 403.

I knew some people who commuted from Mississauga by GO Bus.

It's entirely doable, but can get tiring and/or inconvenient with the timing of buses.

Half of them ended up moving to Hamilton anyways (for the convenience of sleeping in every morning)

10char

applemanv3 - I'm from Brampton as well. I think commuting to Hamilton each day would be feasible, but it would realistically involve 1.5-2 hours driving each day, depending on traffic. I guess it just depends on how willing you are to spend that much time in a vehicle. I will definitely be renting a place in Hamilton.

Do you guys think commuting from Oakville would be any better or would it still become a pain after a little while. Plus come our final year are we ever on-call during our clerkship where we have to live within a certain number of kilometers or anything like that?

I know a few people commuting from oakville for pre-clerkship and it seems fine - they just have to plan out their days to be on campus a lot of the time, because they won't be able to just go back home (and parking on campus is $$). for clerkship, you won't be doing home call, so all your call shifts will be overnight at the hospital. residency is a different story though.

personally speaking, unless you have a partner or something that prevents you from moving to the hamilton area, it's highly recommended that you do. there's a tiny handful of people who commute from further than oakville (mississauga area) and you don't really see them out at a lot of the interest group events or extra-curricular things.

check out kijiji and padmapper and craigslist starting in june for a september lease.

Do you guys think commuting from Oakville would be any better or would it still become a pain after a little while. Plus come our final year are we ever on-call during our clerkship where we have to live within a certain number of kilometers or anything like that?

No, during clerkship if you are on call (and you will be) it's in-hospital call. But that's a consideration, most people are not so down with driving home >1 hour at 11 in the morning after having been awake and working for 26+ hours.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi guys,

I am also not sure whether I should commute or move. I live pretty much right at 407/ mississauga road. I think I might give it a shot on a weekday and see how long it takes. Any thoughts on whether this will become extremely straining?

I think it'll be okay for first year as a preclerk but not after. I'm thinking of doing something similar.

Archived