Premed 101 Forums

Do I have a chance??

Hey,

This is my first time posting on this forum.

These are my stats:

First Year: 0.78

Second Year: 3.9

Third Year: 3.95

Fourth Year: Should be expecting 3.8 ish

MCAT: 30Q

I know what you guys are thinking, how can my first year be soo bad. I just

bombed first year, I had a lot of family problems but i dont think the university would care. Do I have a chance for Ottawa??

Hey,

This is my first time posting on this forum.

These are my stats:

First Year: 0.78

Second Year: 3.9

Third Year: 3.95

Fourth Year: Should be expecting 3.8 ish

MCAT: 30Q

I know what you guys are thinking, how can my first year be soo bad. I just

bombed first year, I had a lot of family problems but i dont think the university would care. Do I have a chance for Ottawa??

If you apply at U of O after your 4th year is complete (i.e apply the September after you graduate and take a year off), your first year doesn't count.

The weighted GPA is calculated by multiplying your fourth year by three, your third year by two, and your second year by one, then dividing the whole by six.

According to my calculations you wGPA after fourth year is: 3.87

There are different wGPA cut offs for the French stream and the English stream. Within each streams there are different cut-offs for Ottawa residents, Ontario residents, and Out-of-province residents. There is also special cut offs for rural French residents and military personnel. You can e-mail the admission office to find out the latest cut-offs, or creep this forum a bit (they're mentioned throughout). You have a fairly good wGPA, so if you're from Ottawa I think you've got a fair shot.

You will have to submit your first year marks through OMSAS though, and I'm not sure who gets to see that, but you might need a solid explanation.

U of O focusses a lot on extracurriculars so make sure that those good marks are supplemented with good EC's.

Archived