Premed 101 Forums

Queens or McGill OT?

That's what I thought too.

But apparently, it's just 2 months longer than Queen's.

McGill duration: 26 months

Queen's: 24 months

i guess something else to consider is french

dont know too much about ot but i rmbr for pt..they wrote on their site: english speaking placements may be limited. So may want to look into that.

But if you are fluent in french, then just flip a coin! :)

BlueJeans, I haven't heard much about Queens' program so I will not be able to comment on that, but I do know quite a bit about McGill's program as I will be heading there this fall in OT.

My knowledge of French is limited as well, but there are placements that are primarily English. In addition, I have heard that you can choose to do placements nationwide or even internationally.

Furthermore, if you are planning to go to the States sometime in the future to work, McGill would be a better option because it's known internationally. I have heard this from quite a few people.

Also, I am not sure where you are coming from, but Montreal is an amazing city! The campus is gorgeous and located in center downtown.

Lastly, I really liked the atmosphere when I went for the interview. The professors seemed quite friendly.

I haven't applied to Queen's, but in my (biased) opinion, McGill would be a better option.

BlueJeans, I haven't heard much about Queens' program so I will not be able to comment on that, but I do know quite a bit about McGill's program as I will be heading there this fall in OT.

My knowledge of French is limited as well, but there are placements that are primarily English. In addition, I have heard that you can choose to do placements nationwide or even internationally.

Furthermore, if you are planning to go to the States sometime in the future to work, McGill would be a better option because it's known internationally. I have heard this from quite a few people.

Also, I am not sure where you are coming from, but Montreal is an amazing city! The campus is gorgeous and located in center downtown.

Lastly, I really liked the atmosphere when I went for the interview. The professors seemed quite friendly.

I haven't applied to Queen's, but in my (biased) opinion, McGill would be a better option.

Hey I just sent you a PM

Thank you Star1290 for your input :)

I do agree with you, Montreal is quite beautiful. I did my undergrad in Montreal and enjoyed my time there. The summers are my favorite.

I am actually thinking about working in the States and or other parts of Canada at some point and McGill's great reputation, especially in the health science fields, will help. At the same time, I hear Queen's courses and clinical placements helps by providing a good understanding of the occupational therapy field.

No problem :)

I have actually heard from some OT students from the States that they chose McGill because it's well-known there. Again, I don't know much about Queen's so I am in no position to comment. As for McGill, I do think that having the option to do placements nationwide would definitely be beneficial though.

Congrats on getting accepted to both programs though! It's definitely quite an accomplishment. Keep us informed about where you end up going.

No problem :)

I have actually heard from some OT students from the States that they chose McGill because it's well-known there. Again, I don't know much about Queen's so I am in no position to comment. As for McGill, I do think that having the option to do placements nationwide would definitely be beneficial though.

Congrats on getting accepted to both programs though! It's definitely quite an accomplishment. Keep us informed about where you end up going.

Thank you, thank you :) Congratulations to you too!

Yeah, doing placements nationwide is definitely a strong strength. A friend of mine actually studied PT at McGill and got to do his placement in Vancouver.

I'm just happy to have at least one school say yes, however, the waiting was torture lol. Two great schools I would be honored to attend, decisions, decisions :) I'll for sure post an update once I make my choice. I take you you settled on McGill? If you don't mind me asking, where you thinking about going anywhere else?

Thanks!

I really like McGill so I did quite a bit of research on the program and the curriculum. McGill was my first choice from the get-go! I did look at the other Ontario universities, but I didn't find their curriculum any better than McGill's so I didn't apply.

Waiting period was definitely a torture considering I had only applied to one university but it was my first (and only) choice so I guess it was worth the wait in a sense. I'm getting excited by the day! QY definitely seems challenging but I am excited to start!!

Thanks!

I really like McGill so I did quite a bit of research on the program and the curriculum. McGill was my first choice from the get-go! I did look at the other Ontario universities, but I didn't find their curriculum any better than McGill's so I didn't apply.

Waiting period was definitely a torture considering I had only applied to one university but it was my first (and only) choice so I guess it was worth the wait in a sense. I'm getting excited by the day! QY definitely seems challenging but I am excited to start!!

That's great! Glad to hear things worked out and you got into the school of your choice! Perhaps, we will run into each other, that is if I end up going to McGill :) Getting excited day by day as well. I also want to start looking for a place to live.

Archived