Premed 101 Forums

Humanities Med Students

Hi everyone,

As a recently accepted student, I have a question for any current (or former) Mac med students. I followed a somewhat unusual academic path before deciding to pursue med studies (undergrad major: literary studies, masters: comparative literature and cultural studies) and am wondering about the experiences/opinions of other similarly "humanities"-minded med students at McMaster.

Did you feel prepared for med school or have you felt that you have some "catching up" to do compared to others who had a more scientific-focused undergrad? (I've taken all the basic courses in chem and bio, but that's it.) Any thoughts/stories about the transition from non-science fields to med school would be greatly appreciated (also, I'd love to hear from any newly accepted or waitlisted people who are in a similar boat!)

Thanks!

Besides intro Chemistry, a few human Bios and intro Anatomy/Physiology, I'm walking into MacMeds with most of my electives coming from either English and Cultural Studies or PoliSci.

I'm actually relishing in the fact that the curriculum has so much room for self-studying and library time to catch up with our more science-minded classmates. It would be unfortunate if the lectures required an immense amount of assumed knowledge rather than simply providing the scaffold to build upon outside of class and in tutorials.

Hi everyone,

As a recently accepted student, I have a question for any current (or former) Mac med students. I followed a somewhat unusual academic path before deciding to pursue med studies (undergrad major: literary studies, masters: comparative literature and cultural studies) and am wondering about the experiences/opinions of other similarly "humanities"-minded med students at McMaster.

Did you feel prepared for med school or have you felt that you have some "catching up" to do compared to others who had a more scientific-focused undergrad? (I've taken all the basic courses in chem and bio, but that's it.) Any thoughts/stories about the transition from non-science fields to med school would be greatly appreciated (also, I'd love to hear from any newly accepted or waitlisted people who are in a similar boat!)

Thanks!

One of the things I like about mac is the diversity of students that are accepted to the program. I personally come from a nursing background, but I'm excited to meet people from different backgrounds and see what roles our various educations play in learning about medicine. Wow, nerd alert!

One of the things I like about mac is the diversity of students that are accepted to the program. I personally come from a nursing background, but I'm excited to meet people from different backgrounds and see what roles our various educations play in learning about medicine. Wow, nerd alert!

hmmm, looks like we will have at least 2 nurses and 1 radiographer (me) in mac meds class of 2015!!

Glad people are excited about alternative background people! That's why I applied to Mac; I feel like having students from all different academic background (incl. nursing!) and who've had other careers will be incredibly interesting and enriching :)

Archived