Premed 101 Forums

Western MSc vs Queen MPH in Epidem. Any current students/graduates with adivce

Hey guys,

First time poster. I've been accepted into both programs and I don't know which one would be better for my future application. I've only been accepted as a reg. MPH student at queens while I've been accepted as a thesis based at Western, and I'm not sure which one is better. I'm planning on applying to med school afterwards, but I just wanted the opinions and experiences of some past students from these programs to help make my decision. Thanks.

I am currently an MPH student at U of Saskatchewan. I would recommend a course based program because degree completion deadlines are usually more clear-cut for course based programs.

Ultimately, you have to decide whether you want to get some research experience (thesis-based) or want to learn key concepts/theories/frameworks in public health.

You should consider how long each program will take. MPH is almost certainly shorter so you will get to apply to med sooner. However, it is course based and some schools will not give you extra points on your application for an MPH as they only give extra points for thesis-based masters.

MPH definitely shows an interest in the healthcare field, which some schools may like. MSc shows that you have research abilities, and provides potential for publications and conference presentations. I think an MSc will carry more weight on an application, but MPH is more linear (with a definite end-date) and may be more interesting for you if you are looking to go into medicine.

You should consider how long each program will take. MPH is almost certainly shorter so you will get to apply to med sooner. However, it is course based and some schools will not give you extra points on your application for an MPH as they only give extra points for thesis-based masters.

MPH definitely shows an interest in the healthcare field, which some schools may like. MSc shows that you have research abilities, and provides potential for publications and conference presentations. I think an MSc will carry more weight on an application, but MPH is more linear (with a definite end-date) and may be more interesting for you if you are looking to go into medicine.

Source?

10char

Source?

10char

For instance, from the University of Alberta website:

http://ume.med.ualberta.ca/ProspectiveLearners/MDAdmissions/Requirements/Pages/default.aspx

"When confirmation of successful completion of a Master's degree by thesis or PhD by thesis is received in our office prior to the June 15 deadline, additional points may be allocated to the application as follows:

Master's - 1 point

PhD - 3 points"

U of A doesn't give any extra points for course based masters. They just use those courses in calculating your gpa. This isn't the way all MD admissions operate, but it's something you need to consider and find out more information on before you decide on MPH or MSc.

For instance, from the University of Alberta website:

http://ume.med.ualberta.ca/ProspectiveLearners/MDAdmissions/Requirements/Pages/default.aspx

"When confirmation of successful completion of a Master's degree by thesis or PhD by thesis is received in our office prior to the June 15 deadline, additional points may be allocated to the application as follows:

Master's - 1 point

PhD - 3 points"

U of A doesn't give any extra points for course based masters. They just use those courses in calculating your gpa. This isn't the way all MD admissions operate, but it's something you need to consider and find out more information on before you decide on MPH or MSc.

Thanks for the info. I learned something new about U of A :)

I suggest that OP contacts the med schools she wants to apply to and find out whether those schools differentiate between course-based and research-based graduate degrees regarding the application process.

I was under the impression that most (if not all) of the Ontario schools such as UT don't care about the nature of the masters degree. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Archived