Premed 101 Forums

Want free help with Chem?

w_robin

Hey,

Last week I got into medical school (hurray!).

Throughout the entire process, I was blessed enough to meet a lot of people along the way who altruistically took time out of their days to help me. And something that I personally believe in quite strongly is giving back to the universe after it gives to you.

So... I'm offering my help for the MCAT for people who will avail of it... for the low, low price of $0 an hour.

If you...

1) GENUINELY need help with the MCAT (i.e. NOT scoring 13s and want some help to make it to 15)

2) NOT a creeper, pre-med gunner (i.e. play doctor when you're not one), nor stalker

3) NOT going to attempt to lure me into your car / bathroom or touch me inappropriately

4) DO need help in sections I can help you with ( Verbal or Chemistry - I got 12s in both)

5) RECOGNIZE that I'm no super genius and I don't have a PhD in teaching the MCAT. I'm just going to be someone you can ask some questions to and bounce ideas off of.

6) WILL meet me in downtown Toronto.

Here's the key: Think of me as a study buddy who is retaking the exam.

If you're interested.... PM me?

P.S. I'm watching the Batchelorette right now (I'm a guy so this is weird) but honestly this is probably the funniest show I've seen all week. As if people watch this on a weekly basis. Who the %^&* came up with the idea of locking 20 guys in a house with one girl? I'm surprised nobody gets punched out on this show.

Awesome! Thanks for doing this!

I know VR is a topic that a lot of members and forum creepers have trouble with. Could you possibly share what worked most for you?

Sure!

Summary: Think of the VR section like sex. Do what your partner enjoys; not what you enjoy. Practice every day and do it with a clock. Talk about what you do right and wrong with your friends. Go through all the wrong answers and figure out why your partner doesn't like that.

OK so here we go. None of this is original advice - I'm ripping this off of the people that gave it to me.

1) THINK THE WAY THEY WANT YOU TO THINK. I get it. You're smart. I am too. But unless you start accepting what the exam think is the main idea - AND NOT WHAT YOU THINK - you're not going to get any free marks. After you answer the questions, you HAVE to review what you got wrong so that you can get INTO THE HEAD of the exam writer and figure out what they're trying to show you.

2) PRACTICE. Don't do twelve hours of verbal once a week. Do one section a day. I did one section, on average, a day for eight weeks leading up to my exam. I don't think you need to do six hours of MCAT practice a day, but you do need to PRACTICE and go over your WRONG answers.

AND DO IT TIMED. When I started doing full practice exams, I would automatically - without looking at the clock - know how much time had elapsed because I had done SO MANY PRACTICES timed.

3) TALK WITH FRIENDS. Get even just one friend to talk to you through the sections. My study buddy and I were total opposites. The questions we would get right/wrong were converse and so we could both explain to the other why they got it wrong.

4) GO THROUGH EVERY ANSWER. Why is A wrong? Why is B wrong? Don't forget - these exams are PREDICTABLE. By the time I was about to write the exam, I could tell you exactly what trick answers would be on there.

OK I hope that helps. Will post more as I think about it.

That's my general advice.

P.S. I'm watching the Batchelorette right now (I'm a guy so this is weird) but honestly this is probably the funniest show I've seen all week. As if people watch this on a weekly basis. Who the %^&* came up with the idea of locking 20 guys in a house with one girl? I'm surprised nobody gets punched out on this show.

Bachelorette is the best! I love junk TV. Plus it's not so bad to watch a bunch of good looking guys for a couple hours ... although this season seems to have quite a few duds hehe ;):P

• 2 weeks later...

Archived