Premed 101 Forums

Not Honouring CARMS contract

Guest LoveMcGill

Guest LoveMcGill

I have a friend who applied to plastics through both the Qebec French system as well as CARMS. In addition to plastics, she also applied for another specialty as a back up through CARMS. She was originally rejected through the French system, but yesterday received a call from one of the French system residency directors, telling her that somehow another spot has opened up and that she was next on their list. Does anyone know what would the ramification be to getting out of the CARMS match now?

Guest marbledust

I believe if you gain a spot through a non-Carms match (the US or Quebec), you are automatically withdrawn from Carms.

Recieving a position in another match isn't the same as not honouring a Carms contract. The Carms contracts are legally binding. You are obligated to accept the position you have matched to. Being withdrawn due to a successful match in Quebec or the US is not the same as refusing a position offered by Carms.

:)

Guest LoveMcGill

That's how I thought it worked, but apparently that only applies before CARMS match gets into motion and apparently it's not that easy now that the the CARMS beast started to roll. Hope you are right though. Thank you very much 'marbeldust' for your answer.

Guest marbledust

Really? Didn't the institution offering her the plastics spot let her know what the implications would be? I am almost 100% in Canada you can't hold more than one offer at a time. Maybe her circumstances are exceptional with the position being offered past the date of the Quebec match. If you find out more information about your friend's situation, please post it.

Cheers

Guest aneliz

I don't think it should be a problem...the US match was this week and the people that matched to the US on Thurs will be pulled from CaRMS...I think the issue would be letting CaRMS know that you have matched elsewhere AFTER the match date for CaRMS...which hasn't happened yet...but will happen really soon....so she should notify CaRMS immediately if she intends to keep the Quebec spot...

Guest Ian Wong

To be honest, I think you might well be hosed. You'll really need to investigate the contractual agreement between CaRMS and the Quebec match, because as has been mentioned above, you cannot hold two spots simultaneously. The problem is that Monday is Unmatch Day, and all candidates need to be withdrawn from CaRMS by this time if they have found other residency positions, etc. Wednesday is Match Day, and all candidates are informed on this day where they will be going. I don't think you can withdraw people once Unmatch Day has happened, because changes to any individual applicant will have a ripple effect on every other candidate in the match, and completely change around where everyone matches.

My advice would be to get on the phone ASAP, and do everything in your power to snag that Plastics spot and pull out of CaRMS right now. Even still, it might be too late for that, but it's still definitely worth trying. I hope everything works out!

Ian

Guest LoveMcGill

So here is the final scope on my friend. She was not allowed to take the plastics spot. Her only chance would have been for her to go unmatched at CARMS today, which she didn’t. Since she only received interviews for her last choice within CARMS, she will get that specialty on Wednesday, and she will have to take it!!!

Guest JSS02

Although what happened to your friend is unfortunate, I've heard that it's possible, even if it may not be easy, to switch programs after you start your residency, especially if you are in a program that's 5 years (since you are already allocated the funding). Of course, that program need to have space available, which usually means that someone has to switch out of it first. Even if she can't switch into plastics, perhaps she can get into something that she prefers over whatever CaRMS matched her into. Best of luck to her...

Archived