Premed 101 Forums

Changing potential route from Grad school to Med school, advice?

This text most likely will end up longer than I'd like, so I apologize for that in advance.

Anyways, I'm currently finishing up a degree in Psychology, finished my 4th and will be coming back for a 5th year part time to complete a couple of more courses (need 2 prereqs, and will take a couple of other courses perhaps). GPA wise, I think I'm okay. 2.8 first year, 3.8 second year, 3.9 in years 3 and 4, each being full course load.

Through the 4 years, I had no idea what I really wanted to do, but I knew my interest lied somewhere in the realm of neuroscience. Now to me, this meant things such as med school (neurology/psychiatry), neuropsychology, or grad school in neuroscience. In the last year or so, I decided that I would like to apply to a MSc program in Neuroscience up here in Canada, but come 2012, I ran into the same problems of not knowing what I really wanted, there was always a feeling that I should try for med school. So I decided to shell out some money for a Kaplan prep course, bought some other material and will be taking the MCAT come August.

Here is what I see as the problem, my EC's/volunteer is strictly research with one proff. Nothing else. I mean I do other things, such as a lot of sports outside of school, play a few instruments etc, but only personal things, no institution or anything like that where I can say I volunteered at (like a hospital). No clubs, nothing. I don't bore you with details, but some personal issues stood in my way of really getting out there and getting social/volunteering/making connections, which I'm currently getting some help with.

Now, with my first MCAT coming up, something I feel I won't feel that I'll do well the first time, and no EC's, I feel that I won't be able to get into any med school even with a decent MCAT score for the year 2013.

I see myself with two options:

1) Don't apply to anything this upcoming fall, most likely rewrite the MCAT next year (maybe twice next year), and spend another year volunteering etc, to help with my resume, and apply in fall 2013 and if all goes right, get in for the year 2014, where I'll be 24.

2) Apply for a MSc Neuroscience, hope I get in an start that next year in 2013, and perhaps apply to Med school once again after that if I feel like a PhD isn't in my best interest. (my age during applying would be 25)

I think the biggest hurdle that comes with the lack of ECs is the idea of age. I know a few people who got into med school right after graduation (age 22), while I am coming back again to complete my undergrad, and a best scenario would be I get in at the age of 24...nothing wrong with that, but comparing myself to others has been a personal downfall for some time. Feel like garbage to be honest.

Anyways, just looking for any advice, words, whatever. Thanks.

Why don't you apply to both med school and the master's program? If you get into med, do med. If you don't, do the master's and re-apply to med.

Thanks for the advice! That's the approach I'm thinking I'll take, but I just don't see an acceptance into med school for 2013 entrance. Main dilemma I see is that if it works out how you described, should i just go straight into the MSc, or take another year off and apply again to MSc/Med school next year, giving a year to up my EC's and improve my MCAT score.

Guest Fresh_Underwear

Applying in your undergrad is heavily mark based, where if your GPA and MCAT is excellent, then you stand a good chance of getting in at least some school. Applying in grad is a bit more tricky, depending on the school, they may or may not warm up to your graduate degree. In my opinion (experience), Master's degree doesn't get you any extra edge during application. It's your publication, references, experience, skills and knowledge that you've gained from the experience that earns some Master's student an acceptance versus rejection.

It sounds like you're not sure what you want (med or grad), so if I were you I'd ask myself this question "What do I like most about the prospect of medicine?" The second question is "Why are you compelled to go for medicine". I'm not familiar with your situation, but it seems like you either 1) loves science and heavily enjoys research (which is why your EC is heavily research based) or 2) you haven't explored enough in the medical field. If your research is clinical based, then it might be a reason for you to think in the direction of medicine, but if it is purely basic science driven, then I don't think you have explored enough to make the final decision to go for medicine.

I did my PhD working with neurosience people. Although people in my field are largely basic science driven, a lot of them went through similar issue you're facing with right now. Most are going after med which are often not a good fit for them. I admire their tenacity, but I couldn't help but feel so many are setting themselves up for disappointment. I often tell undergrads in my lab to not do grad school unless you know you absolutely need a grad degree to do whatever it is you want to do. At the end of the day, your degree shouldn't be an end, but a mean to an end. Learning should lead you somewhere not lead you endlessly searching for the job. A lot of people I see comes in with the notion that they'll find something suitable during their study and graduate with a job waiting for them, and often they are disappointed. I see my peers graduating with a degree for the sake of a degree, they have no use for it so often they don't go anywhere after they graduate. It's quite common with grad students having hard time with employment, largely due to that they don't know what to do with their degree.

Your concern about your age seems to be based off a biological urgency that you have in comparison with your peers or with yourself. I personally don't think age tells anything about a person's level of thinking until I actually talk to the person. I'm 26 and looking back I definitely considers myself a much different person than what I was when I graduated from undergrad. My outlook changed and I'm more humble now. I'm sure 4 years from now it's going to change again, but never will I feel like there is a race between me and others. The only person I feel like I'm competing against is myself and the goals I set for myself. It's not productive if I try to compare myself with my peers. I know people whom I graduated from high school that are CEOs of flourishing start-up companies on one extreme, and on the other extreme are those that have dropped out and are working part-time trying to finish their undergrad after several rounds of probations. If I compare myself to these people, then I don't get anywhere. If I'm better off compared to them (subjective), then I feel superior and become complacent. If I'm worst off (subjective again), then I feel inferior and become disillusioned. Non of these are productive and I found that only when I push myself and compare myself (now) to myself (then) do I feel like I'm actually accomplishing something or that I'm actually "better off". In all honesty, don't let age be a hindrance for you. 24/25 is not old, if you get in 24 is a fairly young age. The average age of people getting into med school is around 25 and it's increasing. There is a growing trend toward mature student (not age-dependent but maturity does come with older age), so the demographic is generally getting older.

My advice for you is do a little bit a soul searching. Find out what is it about neuroscience that makes you tick? What is it about psychology that you love? What would medicine add or enhance your love for neuroscience? And I think a final question is how high you want to aim? What's your priority? Med school is a huge commitment of time, money, and patience. If it serves you well and it fits your priorities, then go get it. If not, then rethink what's important and do the best you can do get what you want.

I think there are way more options than you have just listed. What you mentioned are kind of the standard ones. There are a multitude of options that you can explore. Exploring and learning process tells a lot about yourself as well, which (IMO) is far more valuable and practical.

Cheers

Archived