Premed 101 Forums

transferring credits

I am certain this has been covered somewhere, but I can not seem to find a clear answer. I am thinking of doing a, a-hem, THIRD degree, and transferring courses from my second one. The first 2.5 years of this 4 year BScN are college courses, which were transferred to UVic then I did 1.5 years with them, as a result I have a 3.28 cGPA based on only 6 graded courses ( all based on group projects and essays, pretty hard to maintain the A minus I had from the college courses (3.78).

Anyway, when I did 2nd degree I transferred 4 courses from !st degree to satisfy electives, and the grades did not show up on transcript. Also, some of those years were not full time because of that. So if I do this 3rd degree and transfer credits, are those marks thrown into the mix or do I start fresh? And how do I make sure I am doing full time years? I am thinking I would need to do 1-2 years for an Honors BA.

Thanks for any help!

I couldn't follow your story. I got confused with the college stuff and why you didn't take full course load in your second degree. Regardless, I believe you have an option of getting transfer credits. So you could either start a degree fresh (a fresh transcript with no transfer credits) or you can have some credits transferred (still would have a fresh transcript but would need to do less credits to graduate). Getting transfer credits IMO is not really important because most med schools (if not all) do not require you to finish your degree anyways.

What were your first 2 degrees?

hi, thanks for your info. i did a 3 year BA in music then 4 year nursing. the reason i asked about transfering credits is that on another post it said it may be hard to raise your gpa when transferring. so i am confused...are transfer credit marks counted in new degree? they were not when i transfered to my nursing. maybe those years are counted as full time even if some of the courses were transfered.

what do u mean i wouldn't have to finish my degree?

thank you

No marks get transferred to your new degree/transcript. You do get credits towards your new degree (transfer credits) but the marks for these courses/credits will not appear on your new degree transcript.

Some med schools only require 3 years of undergrad (don't require you to finish your degree). In your case, you've already completed 2 undergrad degrees and would be considered a mature student. But just to make sure, Email the med schools of your interest and ask them if you need to finish your 3rd degree or not (I am almost certain you don't).

Afaik, most universities have their own transfer credit policies. Usually you get credit (volume); the value doesn't go towards your GPA, but you'll probably be exempted from having to take general education requirements/electives, and just take the core courses for your degree programme.

Though I think BC might be the exception; I remember reading something about a province-wide credit transfer agreement. Best to contact an advisor at your current school.

A not-great scenario, if you're trying to boost your GPA, would be if you were granted too many credits (and you don't have a choice in the matter, usually - you get what they assess) - ie, you have enough leeway to complete the third degree, but not enough to equate to ten full courses.

also - if you did your 2nd degree in the past 5ish years, you would not normally be considered a mature student. Entry categories are usually 'transfer student' or 'second degree', and you'll have to poke around to find out which application to use - probably will have to apply directly to the university.

thanks thalie, that is what i was wondering about, making sure i have enough full time years. like NOSM wants at least one year of f/t uni credits if the degree originated in college. so for me, my gpa for degree #2 was based on 6 courses ( it was 1.5 years of uni, some credits were pass/fail ). so i guess i just need to know what the schools want, in terms of how many 'new' graded f/t courses. right? so may be it is possible with my 2 degrees to actually transfer the bulk of credits and just do one full time year with a high gpa, and then this is my official gpa? hmmm. that would be nice.

now the picky part is assimilating the transcripts again, and probably having to provide course desriptions...i remember that being tricky as my first degree was a long time ago, and several courses/ course numbers changed. basically an advisor has to look through everything and come up with equivalencies and sign off on it....

Taiga girl: With your persistance I know we will meet again as med students. Remember to hit me up before you apply (or interview) and I will let you know what I have learned while in 1st year at NOSM.

Beef

Congratulation, RealBeef. Officially Med!.

Archived