Premed 101 Forums

To all current CaRMS applicants.

Guest milkytooth

Guest milkytooth

1) Do you call up the program director to request an interview? Should we?

Planes tickets are expensive and planes are not very safe lately. If you ought to push them to give you an interview, I presume the chance of getting in must be slim. So, why calling up in the first place? I am in dilemma...

2) Do they usually reveal how many applications they have received or it is a "taboo" subject they try to avoid talking about?

Thanks!

Guest Ian Wong

1) You can try contacting them, but I'm not sure that it would change anything. Still, I don't think you could ever be faulted for showing interest in a program.

2) You can often find out how many people applied the previous year through the CaRMS Program Directory. I don't think that information is confidential; chances are they'd tell you if you asked them. Still, you'll only drive yourself nuts if you try to "figure the odds". It's tough to do, but it's best to just relax and take it easy, and go to every interview that you are offered.

Ian

Guest UWOMED2005

Planes aren't very safe lately? Are you talking about risk of crashing or risk of DVT?

Are you avoiding crossing the street? Hope you're staying off the King's highways (ie 90 kmph) as well!

And I'd especially stay out of McDonald's. . . I hear the cholesterol in a big mac does killer things to your Left Anterior Descending coronary artery. Way riskier than a trip in A320.

Guest milkytooth

Thank you, Ian, so much for replying to my post and I really appreciate your advice.

Well, to be honest, I was worrying about plane crash (terrorist bombing, mechanical failure,... I will leave that to your imagination) :eek

Guest Ian Wong

If you're flying in Canada, I'd be much more worried about mechanical failure than terrorists. :) I can't remember a more surly bunch of airport employees than the Air Canada folks; maybe that's just me, but every other airline I've flown has people who are reasonably happy. Westjet is sort of on the other end of the spectrum, with a bunch of young, chipper and enthusiastic folks.

Here's hoping that Air Canada's restructuring and that the new leader Victor Li will be able to turn things around. There's a lot of jobs at stake. Although I have to say I try my hardest to book Westjet at every opportunity, and avoid AC like the plague.

Ian

Actually, AC's probably got one of the rudest employees. I've never been happy with their service. Once I was on this flight from Toronto to Chicago and this French dude sits next to me. So the flight attendants are passing out drinks and she gives me this small cup of ginger ale while the other guy says something in French to her and she gives him the entire can! Kind of obnoxious if you ask me.

But to allay your fears about flying. I don't think AC's had an accident in like over 15 years. It's a very safe airline (knock on wood).

with regards to not getting the can, if you ask for it, they'll give it to you. dont be shy-- you're paying god knows how much in their 'taxes' to deserve one measly can of gingerale. :)

Guest UWOMED2005

Yeah, my Mom works for Air Canada as a ticket vendor at the airport. The employees have been pretty pissed since Milton took over. Basically, senior management have made a lot of moves that screw customers over "in the best interests of the finances of the company." How pissing off your customers is in the best interests of the company is beyond me, but then again considering their combination of a) debt and B) monopoly maybe that is the case. The end result is the frontline employees are used as a buffer, forced to be the person breaking bad news to customers. My mom is routinely stuck applying rules she hates. (ie overweight baggage fees, fess surroung seat "sales" that turn the sale price into more than the original ticket price) She is the kind of person who constantly tries to find loopholes for the customer, but often gets stuck. Combine all that with the fact Air Canada employees have been accepting wage rollbacks, live with constant job uncertainty, and recently found out Air Canada has been pilfering the pension fund and you can see why some Air Canada employees might not be all roses. . .

Anyone see a parallel in this between Doctors and Nurses? Doctors make the big calls that patients might not like, but who has to deal with the patient and enact the orders?

Don't worry milkytooth. . . even with recent news stories covering terrorist attacks and mechanical failure, you're more likely to die DRIVING TO the airport than in the air.

Guest UWOMED2005

That's wierd. I could have sweared I made that last post in the OTHER thread under this discussion board, the one about surgery. Seems like this EZBOARD phenomenon is acting up on me tonight. . . couldn't even login properly tonight.

I'll try deleting that second eroneous post tomorrow.

BTW - those comments about cardiac vs. gen surg were made by one of YOUR old roommates, crackers.

Guest calvindog

Do not worry milkytooth, I'll make sure you get there safe and sound. I cannot, unfortunately, do anything about the grump flight attendants. Be sure not to piss them off though, they may go toilet in your meal.:lol

Cheers,

Chris (Air Traffic Controller)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I was nosing through the CaRMS statistics for 2003 and came across something a little odd. I'm hoping someone can provide a little insight. For some programs, one spot is offered. For each program, the number of applicants, interviews and "average out-of-town applicants matched" numbers are provided, as follows:

Approximate Quota: 1

Number of applicants 2002/2003: 16

Number of interviews 2002/2003: 6

Average out-of-town applicants matched 2001-2003: 25%

For the latter statistic, 25% average out-of-town applicants matched, I'm assuming this means that four of the six interviewees were from out-of-town and one of them matched? If not, can someone set me straight?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest marbledust

I asked my partner about this Kirsteen (he went through the carms process a few years ago):

It's a bit misleading because that statistic is the average for the last three match years (2001, 2002, 2003). The "total number of interviews" and "total applicants" is for only the last match cycle (2002-2003).

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

marbledust

Guest Kirsteen

Aha.

Thank you very much for the clarification, marbledust. I suppose you have to contact the Program Directors directly for any specifics.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Ian Wong
Approximate Quota: 1

Number of applicants 2002/2003: 16

Number of interviews 2002/2003: 6

As mentioned already, this means that for this upcoming year's cycle, there is 1 available spot. In 2002/2003 (last year's cycle), there were 16 applicants, of which 6 received interviews.

Over the past three years, 25% of people who matched to that program did medical school from a different city (the inference you can make here is that over the past three years, they've matched a total of 4 candidates, only one of which was from an outside institution).

Ian

Archived