Premed 101 Forums

UBC emerg vs ortho

Guest PeterC007

Guest PeterC007

Hey All,

I'm looking for some info on UBC emerg and ortho. I'm interested in what people have heard about these programs specifically...ie what resident's think, what med student's think who done electives think.

I'm hoping to do an elective in both if I can get past UBC elective rules (most spots reserved for UBC students in Sept and Oct)

Thanks

Pete

Guest Ian Wong

If you want, I can try forwarding your questions onto a couple of my classmates, who are two of the new UBC R1's in Emerg and Ortho respectively. If you have a list of questions, you could email them to me at: mdpremie@yahoo.com Alternatively, if these are questions you don't actually want to ask the residents, I think both programs are highly competitive, simply because of the opportunity to train in Vancouver.

UBC Ortho isn't the strongest Ortho department out there by word of mouth, but living in Vancouver for five years is pretty nice. I think UBC's Emerg program is very strong, probably in large part due to the varied exposure that you'll get here, along with the limited resident pool (so you'll get lots of hands-on time); this last year, I think they only took in one resident.

Ian

Archived