Premed 101 Forums

Residency spots

Guest CaesarCornelius

Guest UWOMED2005

You do gen-surg first. Then it depends on where you're practicing as to whether you need to get into a fellowship or not. Last year there were about 10 spots open at the end of CaRMS.

Guest Ian Wong

Yep. You need to do the full General Surgery residency first (Gen Surg has really taken a beating as far as being a popular choice of specialty), and then you'd apply for a Colorectal fellowship. I doubt there's that many colorectal fellowships in Canada; I think most of those fellowship opportunities would be in the US.

Ian

Guest UWOMED2005

Gen surg has probably lost popularity due to the fact that you work really, really hard yet the compensation and glamour isn't quite what it is with the surgical subspecialties, some of which have a much better lifestyle.

Guest CaesarCornelius

Do you mean subspecialties of gensurg? Or are you referring to urology/cardiac surgery etc?

What gensurg subspecialties are there in canada?

CC

Guest Ian Wong

I think this list I generated last year still holds up fairly well. You can add Critical Care/Trauma to the list, and if you go American, add Cardiac, Thoracic, Burns/Plastics as well. MIS (Minimally Invasive Surgery) would be the laparoscopic fellowship for General Surgery.

Most surgical subspecialties (in general, as your practice is highly dictated by your location, presence of other docs, community vs. academic environment, etc) have a better lifestyle than General Surgery. This includes Plastic Surgery, Urology, ENT, and Ophthalmology.

Orthopedics has bad hours, and can certainly be nearly as bad, if not worse than General Surgery. Cardiac surgery and Neurosurgery have the worst hours.

Ian

Archived