Premed 101 Forums

Remuneration after-taxes + overhead of Family Physicians?

Your astute guessing is impressive.

This was a bit of a thread derail, but the bottom-line is that rural practices not only remunerate well, but that they also have uniquely awesome practices and still have plenty of opportunities for families within a cohesive community.

GP does indeed do Whipple's - they as a group agreed to have a single surgeon do them all because there's just enough volume for 1 guy to stay current with that skill set. It's also the same arrangement (and same doc) that they have for doing ERCPs.

Anyway, when thinking of both good medicine and good pay, don't forget to explore your rural options. Academic and urban centres aren't the only places to achieve prestigious careers and make lasting, meaningful contributions to people and communities.

Your astute guessing is impressive.

This was a bit of a thread derail, but the bottom-line is that rural practices not only remunerate well, but that they also have uniquely awesome practices and still have plenty of opportunities for families within a cohesive community.

GP does indeed do Whipple's - they as a group agreed to have a single surgeon do them all because there's just enough volume for 1 guy to stay current with that skill set. It's also the same arrangement (and same doc) that they have for doing ERCPs.

Anyway, when thinking of both good medicine and good pay, don't forget to explore your rural options. Academic and urban centres aren't the only places to achieve prestigious careers and make lasting, meaningful contributions to people and communities.

Noted ... your enthusiasm for rural med is refreshing. I have been thinking of doing some rural emerg in the future, perhap rural family med on the side if I choose to do the 2+1 route. Thanks for promoting an awesome lifestyle.

I have a buddy who is a practicing rural FP and recently did a rural med locum in Dawson City, Yukon for 4 weeks. Loves the cowboy nature of the specialty:)

Archived