Premed 101 Forums

Potential LOR question

Hello,

I know it's a bit early to be thinking about this, but all the excitement of people getting accepted is getting me to think about applications this fall :)

I have a question about a potential LOR. Background: I've been working as a clinical researcher for the past year. I am not really sure what my bossess think of me, as very little feedback is given (not even sure if they like me haha). I don't feel very confident asking them for a letter of reference this fall, since I think the letter would be lukewarm at best (since again, I'm not sure if they even like me and I've made a couple of mistakes that I think would really count against me). I applied to medical schools in Ontario for entry in 2011 (the cycle before the one that's finishing up right now) and had LORs from 2 professors that know me well, and another research supervisor from summer 2010 (I worked with him for about a year total as well - 2009-2010). I had 2 interviews and was ultimately wait-listed at both schools.

So my question is, should I stick with asking the people I asked before for LORs? (Since I know they must have been good to get me to interviews. And they have already written them, so it would be less work for them as well). Or has too much time passed? Would it look weird that I don't have a letter from my most recent employer/supervisor/person who would be capable of evaluating me? I know there are many reasons that factor in when choosing referees, but I am just trying to figure out if not asking one of my current bosses would be a "red flag"?

I would really appreciate any input :)

I don't think there's anything wrong with asking the same referees to provide letters again especially since you had success with them. Be sure to update them on what you've done since the last application cycle so they're up to speed.

Not using a current employer wouldn't be a red flag as far as I can see, people choose referees that know them best and therefore represent them the most accurately. There are numerous examples of people not using current employers and even graduate students not using their supervisors as references- which is often a far more intimate relationship.

My vote is for going with what works and updating them on what you've been doing. Good luck!

Thanks so much! I was pretty sure it wouldn't be a problem to not have my current employer as a referee, but with important things like these I tend to get a little neurotic and seek reassurance haha. I'm still a little apprehensive about the time gap with my old employer (having last worked with him in 2010), but like you said people choose their referees for a number of reasons, so hopefully admissions won't have a problem with that.

Thanks again!!

Yes, stick with what you know has already worked. :)

You want your referee to be a strong advocate anything less should be avoided. That is why I always looked into the eyes of the persons to whom I asked for "strong" references - so that I would assess their body language when they answered me!

Archived