Premed 101 Forums

About the second undergrad policies...!

Hey everyone,

I have recently graduated in microbiology and immunology at McGill, and here's my situation :

1st year - 2.72/2.93 (cGPA : 2.82)

2nd year - 3.00/2.92 (cGPA : 2.89)

3rd year - 3.58/3.86 (cGPA : 3.17)

As you can see, my third year was the turning point for me, and I saw on the "Medical School Second Undergrad Degree Policies (Updated Feb 21)" thread that Dalhousie will only look at my last two years...Does this mean I have to do another FULL year before I can apply? Is it possible to be "conditionally" accepted based on my results in the past 3 semesters assuming that I get the same or better in the last one (after the application)?

Or better yet, do I stand a chance? What are my best bets here?

I have been accepted in the Faculte de Medecine of Toulouse in France, but that's Pre-Med and only 10-12% of the students make it to the second year. I'd like to know if it'd be a wise decision to leave all my friends, family, gf for a 10-12% chance lol. If I have the same chance here I'd rather stay and get it.

PS : haven't done my MCAT yet, planning on doing it during the year/next summer.

If you want it in Canada, you've gotta keep trucking. Unfortunately, Dal does NOT have a conditional offer system like UWO. THe calculation of your GPA for Dal is entirely based on marks prior to the year of application.

Due to this, and with your grades, I feel like a 5th year at the least, will be required.

If you want to go international, it will most likely be a bye-bye to returning to Canada to work as a physician. Considering that you now have the hang of things, I would suggest giving it another chance while you're here.

Also, I am afraid that your stats are not very competitive for Dalhousie. Considering that you're likely from out of the Maritimes, you will need a minimum of 3.7 in each year to apply. If you are a maritime resident, you require a minimum average of 3.3 in each of the years to apply.

Good luck!

I agree with the above. Dal will look at your last two semesters, and yours will not meet the cut off of 3.7 to have your full file reviewed unfortunately. Even with at least a 3.7, that does not guarantee an interview. Most of the OOP interview candidates have along the lines of 3.85-4.0 and 33+ MCAT. Although there are obviously exceptions, a very stellar volunteer and EC section might be enough to get an interview with low-end academic stats. If you would be considered IP for Dal then that would change things. If not, I think that an acceptance at Dal will be a pretty long shot.

I would concentrate on finishing your degree and finding out the guidelines for whatever med schools are in your home province. If that doesn't work out, then France would be a pretty awesome experience!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived