Premed 101 Forums

2016 Application Statistics

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anybody knows when the application statistics are usually posted?

I'm just curious to see if anybody with a low GPA (e.g. 80% and below) was accepted this year. Trying to figure out whether it is worth it or not to apply (even just for experience?) with an aGPA ~78.

After taking a quick look through the acceptance thread it seems as though the lowest accepted GPAs were 82-83 this year (I'm assuming with an accompanying stellar NAQ and Interview score). On the flip side, I think there were 2 people on this forum that got interviews with marks ~77-80...but have yet to hear of anybody posting up good news.

Thanks!

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anybody knows when the application statistics are usually posted?

I'm just curious to see if anybody with a low GPA (e.g. 80% and below) was accepted this year. Trying to figure out whether it is worth it or not to apply (even just for experience?) with an aGPA ~78.

After taking a quick look through the acceptance thread it seems as though the lowest accepted GPAs were 82-83 this year (I'm assuming with an accompanying stellar NAQ and Interview score). On the flip side, I think there were 2 people on this forum that got interviews with marks ~77-80...but have yet to hear of anybody posting up good news.

Thanks!

My friend had an interview last cycle with a aGPA of 77%. You should definitely apply.

My friend had an interview last cycle with a aGPA of 77%. You should definitely apply.

You don't happen to know if he was accepted by any chance do you?

Only reason why I'm concerned is because there was a forum member with an 80% aGPA, 50NAQ (holy crap!), and an above average interview that just got rejected this cycle. Just curious to know whether anybody else has had better luck!

Hey guys,

Thanks!

They are usually posted in October. I think you should apply regardless to see where you stand, and hey if you get an interview, bonus, and then if you get in, look at what happened! If you never apply, you'll never know. :D Good luck.

You don't happen to know if he was accepted by any chance do you?

Only reason why I'm concerned is because there was a forum member with an 80% aGPA, 50NAQ (holy crap!), and an above average interview that just got rejected this cycle. Just curious to know whether anybody else has had better luck!

He was on the wait list and was accepted about 2 weeks ago : )

The academic formula will probably not change next year unless they've explicitly stated that their assessment approach will change. If they keep up with the aGPA instead of the last 60/pre-reqs/overall from before, and keep the cap at 90, that AQ scale will stay the same (i.e. 90% = 50/50 NAQ, 75% = 0/50 AQ).

Double check the wording on the website for specific information.

The academic formula will probably not change next year unless they've explicitly stated that their assessment approach will change. If they keep up with the aGPA instead of the last 60/pre-reqs/overall from before, and keep the cap at 90, that AQ scale will stay the same (i.e. 90% = 50/50 NAQ, 75% = 0/50 AQ).

Double check the wording on the website for specific information.

That formula was whipped up by some guy on Premed 101 :confused: . The formula changes accordingly to the applicant pool for next year.

Furthermore, because not alot of people in the 70's and low 80's gave their info, the formula did not work very well for people in that range. For example, the friend I was mentioning earlier had a 24/50.

Once again no formula was EVER released by ADCOM and the formula that everyone talks about was just derived from people's self reported AQ score in the interview results thread. So it was based on interview rankings.

I dont think people should be reading too much into it as it can very well change every year and there could be other factors (that we don't know about) that play a role post interview.

Once again no formula was EVER released by ADCOM and the formula that everyone talks about was just derived from people's self reported AQ score in the interview results thread. So it was based on interview rankings.

I dont think people should be reading too much into it as it can very well change every year and there could be other factors (that we don't know about) that play a role post interview.

At the very least, though, it provides some sort of estimate of your AQ.

Although the formula was whipped up here on PM101, I don't think that makes it useless. From what I recall, they took 40 or so posts from rejected applicants who stated their GPA and AQ (honestly?) and then did a linear regression on the data. Interestingly enough, it led to two conclusions: the minimum GPA for a full file review is 75%; this corresponded to 0/50 on the AQ scale. The minimum GPA for which 50/50 AQ was awarded was 90%, suggesting that for averages above this number, everyone scored 50/50.

One of my friends who applied to UBC Med in the past told me that before 2009 (or maybe even into 2010), it used to be that 85%+ on each of your components received 25/25 AQ (oGPA, pre-reqs, last 60, something else?). My friend received this info after she applied and did not get in, getting her scores in the process.

Archived