Premed 101 Forums

MCAT Suggestion

motivated2014

Hi,

A little bit of history about myself. Mature student and wanted to take MCAT early 2013. Currently working but quitting in a couple of months to prepare for MCAT. I am taking 5 months off and wanted to prepare for MCAT during the that period.

Tried to prepare for MCAT for a few of months now while working but its not working. Highly stressful job, long hours and family too... so working and study is not workingm therefore quitting...

I am planning to use SN2ed 4 month study plan to prepare myself.

Learned all the basics (chemistry, biology,Org Chem, Physics ) years ago, do not remember 10% of it currently, My question is without any prior preparation, Is it a good idea to follow SN2ed study plan? Is my plan of 5 months concentrated preparation good enough?

Hi,

A little bit of history about myself. Mature student and wanted to take MCAT early 2013. Currently working but quitting in a couple of months to prepare for MCAT. I am taking 5 months off and wanted to prepare for MCAT during the that period.

Tried to prepare for MCAT for a few of months now while working but its not working. Highly stressful job, long hours and family too... so working and study is not workingm therefore quitting...

I am planning to use SN2ed 4 month study plan to prepare myself.

Learned all the basics (chemistry, biology,Org Chem, Physics ) years ago, do not remember 10% of it currently, My question is without any prior preparation, Is it a good idea to follow SN2ed study plan? Is my plan of 5 months concentrated preparation good enough?

I have seen that calendar and it seems like a great schedule if you have the time. I am in a similar boat to you I think - I am 28, working full-time (and teach part-time) and plan to take the MCAT on August 17. I have yet to start studying for the most part. I think 5 months of full-time studying is way more than enough - especially if you have a science background, even if it is quite far in your past. I have kept up with very basis math, chem and bio through teaching high schoolers and about 3 weeks ago I took a full-length Kaplan test and got 33 (13P, 10V, 10B). I think you will find that the basics will come back to you quicker than you think. If you have that much time, I would devout a lot of it to practice exams to get familiar with the timing and structure of the test, while also obviously studying the material in between.

Thanks for your input. I am 35 and did my B.sc 15 yrs ago. I am completely on a different career path and therefore a lot more detached from the subjects... I hope 5 months I have allocated is enough...

33 is quite good score.Good luck. I am glad I do not have to prepare for the WS as I am giving it next year ;)

Archived