Premed 101 Forums

Grad school or second undergrad?

I know there are a few threads similar to this floating around the forum, but I was wondering if anyone could provide me with advice on my situation. I applied to Ontario med schools this year and was rejected at all schools except Western pre-interview. I'm currently wait-listed at Western, but not counting on an offer. I know the problem was my gpa... I finished my undergrad at U of T this year with an overall gpa of 3.65 (1st year: 3.08, 2nd: 3.87, 3rd: 3.85, 4th: 3.81).

I have applied to McGill for grad school, and would love to spend a few years doing research there. However, my ultimate goal is still med and after reading a few threads on premed101 I'm starting to wonder if doing a masters is a good move strategically. Would doing a masters provide me with any advantage? Or should I consider starting a second bachelor degree to pull up my gpa?

Any advice would be appreciated, I'm in crisis mode!

The advice that I've been given has generally been this: if your GPA needs improvement, a special year (5th year or whatever) or a second undergraduate degree in the best option. If your application needs "beefing up" in other areas, a graduate degree can help. I am also told that some medical schools do give you a slight bonus for having a graduate degree, so it can help with gaining admissions to those schools. So I guess it depends on what schools you have the best chance at, and if those schools offer any bonuses to those with graduate degrees.

I'm personally doing a second undergraduate, but my main problem was lack of any full-time studies except for one year, due to medical issues (which is what got me interested in med in the first place).

Good luck! It's certainly not an easy decision to make.

Archived