Premed 101 Forums

Med Specialty assessment tool

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i prefer serious problems, have had unusual success seeing results with the incurables (psych, but i think i'm a weird case, very unsheltered life, so to speak), working in continuing care for so long also gave me a huge appreciation of neuro and how much lifestyle improvement can mean to a person... extra time can be a precious gift

i also enjoy the nebulous, and uncertain, because others avoid it because there's no certainty, and well, my life history makes me very adept at seeing non-linear, complex, interactionist phenomena, so it's very ewarding to be able to help people others avoid because there's no guide... like in the more black and white specialties... plus well, i'm not sombre, quit doesnt exist to me, and i always assume i can change things, no matter how much people tell me otherwise, i've been doing it for 8 years, so i stopped listening to others, i'm not person x in random clinical trial, or random student x, i'm an outlier with weird experiences, so listening to people with regression to the mean experiences doesn't work well... like when peole say er sucks cause you do night shift... to me... lol, thts an advantage, i'm a night owl, i also thrive in chaos, order... man, fml... oi ... so i just listen to my own beliefs now, unless i meet someone super wise

as much as i like people, i can deal with the trivial either, other people enjoy it, so they should do it, people who enjoy it will do a better job, you know

internal med... fml... i'd take endo anyway... derm, anything but gen im or well, surg... any surg...

Rank Specialty Score

1 general internal med 44

2 psychiatry 43

3 neurology 41

4 dermatology 38

5 physical med & rehabilitation 37

6 pediatrics 37

7 preventive med 37

8 aerospace med 36

9 med oncology 36

10 endocrinology 35

11 radiology 35

12 neurosurgery 34

13 rheumatology 34

14 allergy & immunology 34

15 family practice 33

16 cardiology 33

17 plastic surgery 33

18 thoracic surgery 32

19 pulmonology 32

20 nephrology 32

21 pathology 32

22 ophthalmology 32

23 obstetrics/gynecology 31

24 nuclear med 31

25 hematology 31

26 otolaryngology 31

27 orthopaedic surgery 30

28 gastroenterology 30

29 emergency med 30

30 radiation oncology 29

31 infectious disease 29

32 general surgery 29

33 occupational med 29

34 urology 28

35 colon & rectal surgery 28

36 anesthesiology 27

It is just a quiz but doing it taught me a few things about my preferences. (Why did the questions keep repeating by the way?) For one, I like to accompany people in suffering; I am not a person that enjoys optimism; I'm at home in sombre moods. I do not look for tangible success, clear problems, physical activity, etc. I'm not sure how I would accept treating trivial problems as well.

My initial thought would be that rheumatology would be a great profession for me. It is however only in the top 15. Infectious diseases is quite low as well (for one thing, the quiz cannot test how impressed you are by certain fields). I do my volunteering with people who have psychiatric problems but not sure this would be right for me.

Anyway, all this to ask what is general internal medicine? I have arthritis and do not want to run around :P

i prefer serious problems, have had unusual success seeing results with the incurables

internal med... fml... i'd take endo anyway... derm, anything but gen im or well, surg... any surg...

Surgery is awesome. People come in with a problem, you fix it, they go home.

Except vascular. Those patients tend to be unfixable train wrecks

If you have good success with incurables, maybe vascular should be on your list. :)

Surgery is awesome. People come in with a problem, you fix it, they go home.

Or you book them for elective cases and a few days later their anastomosis (or anastomoses) decides to leak. But then that's gen surg...

Except vascular. Those patients tend to be unfixable train wrecks

If you have good success with incurables, maybe vascular should be on your list. :)

Well, that BKA can always extend to an AKA, and then bilaterally... a service that is an excellent source of late night consults to the unit.

Or you book them for electives cases and a few days later their anastomosis (or anastomoses) decides to leak. But then that's gen surg...

Well, that BKA can always extend to an AKA, and then bilaterally... a service that is an excellent source of late night consults to the unit.

stop it, we know you love surgery :D

Archived