Premed 101 Forums

What route?

Guest DHP62

Guest DHP62

What route would one take to do some sort of specialized pediatric medicine? Take, for example, pediatric respirology.

Do you go:

pediatrics -> respirology

or

internal medicine -> respirology -> pediatric respirology

I'd think its the latter, but I could be very wrong! It could very well be something other then those 2.

Thanks for the help!

DHP

Guest summervirus

After you graduate from medical school, you'll need to go into a pediatric program. Then, you'll be in general pediatrics for three years. Afterwards, you'll subspecialize in pediatric respirology for two years. Altogether, it'll be five years.

Some people who take longer to make a decision can also spend four years in general pediatrics and then go into their subspecialty, making it six years total.

Guest UWOMED2005

Some programs are different. For example, for ped Ophthalmology you'd do your residency in Ophthalmology and then either do a ?fellowship? in peds, or maybe just tailor your practice to accept more peds cases (I'm not 100% sure, but I do know the access route is Ophtho.) Same goes for ENT or Physiatry, or pretty much any of the surgerical specialties (as far as I know)

The interesting on is Emerg. Talking to the ER docs here, you can access it from peds (ie Peds, the Peds Emerg) OR from Emerg (5 emerg residency, then further peds training.)

But respirology, oncology, endocrinology. . . yeah, I think those are all done through peds.

Guest summervirus

Oh yeah! Thanks, UWOMED2005. I forgot to mention those surgical specialties.

Another weird exception is neurology. You can go straight into neuro and then specialize in peds; or, you can go into peds and specialize in neuro!

Archived