Premed 101 Forums

Dental school application

Hey there SDN,

I have a question for someone who applied to UBC,

I was wondering when you are applying, on the application form, there is a section where you include all your volunteer/shadowing/research experience and thus number of hrs

I'm wondering do we need some kind of proof of hrs or just write down the address, phone number, supervisor's name etc,

Because for some of my volunteer work, I don't have proof.

IF all you need is the address or something, how do committee know if you actually volunteered at that place?

I have a friend who said he's just gonna bs some volunteer work and at first i said good luck with that cause you're gonna get caught and get screwed but then again how can committee find out?

Thanks!

That stuff really isn't worth bsing. Apparently it's only a relatively small portion of your application so on the chance that UBC does decide to check, you would be screwing yourself over for nothing. Plus would it really feel that great lying to get in?

If they don't ask for proof then you probably don't need it. I was never asked but I'm not sure if my supervisors were asked.

Hey there SDN,

I have a question for someone who applied to UBC,

I was wondering when you are applying, on the application form, there is a section where you include all your volunteer/shadowing/research experience and thus number of hrs

I'm wondering do we need some kind of proof of hrs or just write down the address, phone number, supervisor's name etc,

Because for some of my volunteer work, I don't have proof.

IF all you need is the address or something, how do committee know if you actually volunteered at that place?

I have a friend who said he's just gonna bs some volunteer work and at first i said good luck with that cause you're gonna get caught and get screwed but then again how can committee find out?

Thanks!

Hi,

I believe no proof was required at the time the application is made and it is taken on good faith. I would caution however that the extra curricular portion of the application seems to contribute very little to the interview selection process (UBC is very open about using a structured formula when selecting candidates involving GPA and DAT) and they can always request references for a particular activity at a later time. My advice would be to be honest and only provide activities that you can also provide a reference for.

Hope this helps.

If you are caught, probably blacklisted and obviously denied interviews for that cycle, and flagged for future applications. Schools talk and they will look into other places that you've applied since it's not very hard to send a few emails. Is that risk worth a couple of extra volunteer/research positions?

More importantly, think of the type of person that would be willing to cheat/lie. Would you want them to be your dentist? Bigger question is would you let them work with patients? Probably not. So do whatever you can to stop them and if you can't, and you know for a fact that they lied, you have to let some sort of authority know. By the way, if your friend doesn't get caught, you'd be just as responsible as he is, because you didn't stop him. Think about where your moral standards are.

Just because there may in fact be a few liars/cheaters out there in medicine and dentistry, doesn't mean more should be allowed admission.

Archived