Premed 101 Forums

Residency in European union Countries

I was wondering if you finish your medical school in lets say Hungarian medical schools ( Szeged, pecs) or one of atlantic bridge program medical school, would you be able to do your residency in europe and practice medicine in one of the european countries; I also have permanent residency of Austria; I guess that would help. Thanks for all the future responses.

The short answers is yes for citizens of the EU. However, your status as a PR might change things. If you can work without a VISA in the country in which you want to do training (there's no such thing as 'residency' in the EU)the you're able to train there the same way a native is.

You'll need to speak Hungarian to continue your training in Hungary.

I was wondering if you finish your medical school in lets say Hungarian medical schools ( Szeged, pecs) or one of atlantic bridge program medical school, would you be able to do your residency in europe and practice medicine in one of the european countries; I also have permanent residency of Austria; I guess that would help. Thanks for all the future responses.

Thanks for your response jnuts. My preference would be getting into residency in USA; however, it would be nice to have something to fall back on ( training in europe) if you were not able to get into residency in Canada or states.

I was also wondering if atlantic bridge program or british medical schools are more advantageous comparing to eastern european medical schools. Since I know eastern european medical schools such as Jagiellonian, Szeged are much cheaper; So, why should one attend these more expensive schools? what are they offering more? Thanks for all the future responses.

• 1 month later...

I think likely motivators to pick Ireland/UK schools over Eastern Europe include:

Reputation, better historic match rates, English as language of patient care, similar patient centered and EBM based clinical philosophies, similar hospital resources and family practice/ secondary care/ tertiary care structures.

Archived