Premed 101 Forums

Uwo 4th year Course Selection

Hey guys,

So Course selection opens up for me tomorrow morning (June 25th) and I need some help picking courses. Any input at all would be awesome.

Physiology 4520B, 4530A, 4620A and 4700

Microbiology & Immunology 4300A

Also, anyone know of an easy 0.5 essay course? Thanks a lot in advance!

i heard decent things about the biophysics courses for essay credits. but if you suck at math... i can't see it being fun. this is second hand info though, and i got it from a guy who took calc as an elective in second year and thought it was easy. so he likes math... LOL. maybe 2nd yr calc was easy though, who knows. i didn't want to touch calc after first year.

I took both stem cell and skeletal last year and enjoyed them both and ended up with 3.9s.

Stem Cell:

40% midterm

60% final

Mixture of MC, short answer (half page to a page) and long answer (1+ pgs)

I've generally done very well on MC exams but the MC section brought my mark down on both exams. There was quite a bit of material but with some studying it wasn't altogether too hard to do well.

Skeletal:

25% presentation

25% midterm

50% final

Found this class to be pretty easy because there wasn't as much material to learn. Only 1 lecture hour a week and 1 hour of presentations. I found it tough to pay attention during the presentations but the material was tested. Presentation was an individual journal critique. You'll be used to them from 4980E by second semester. I would request to do it early on so you don't have to worry about it during interview season. Midterm and final were both pretty straightforward short and long answer. There was talk of replacing the midterm with pop quizzes so that students actually read the papers and ask questions.

I took both stem cell and skeletal last year and enjoyed them both and ended up with 3.9s.

Stem Cell:

40% midterm

60% final

Mixture of MC, short answer (half page to a page) and long answer (1+ pgs)

I've generally done very well on MC exams but the MC section brought my mark down on both exams. There was quite a bit of material but with some studying it wasn't altogether too hard to do well.

Skeletal:

25% presentation

25% midterm

50% final

Found this class to be pretty easy because there wasn't as much material to learn. Only 1 lecture hour a week and 1 hour of presentations. I found it tough to pay attention during the presentations but the material was tested. Presentation was an individual journal critique. You'll be used to them from 4980E by second semester. I would request to do it early on so you don't have to worry about it during interview season. Midterm and final were both pretty straightforward short and long answer. There was talk of replacing the midterm with pop quizzes so that students actually read the papers and ask questions.

Thanks for the info. Does taking a first year course in your 4th year look bad on the transcript? I still have to take an essay course and don't know of any 2nd year courses.

Archived