Premed 101 Forums

Weighting Formula??

To whoever can answer this question,

I recently graduated from university. In my first year, I took 9 classes, but in my second, third, and fourth year I took 10, 10, and 11 courses, respectively. I know automatically I do not qualify for the weighting formula. However, I heard from a friend and many other previous applicants that if I write a letter explaining why I had taken 9 courses in my first year, then I can possibly get a partial weighting formula, if my reason is considered valid by the adcoms.

Now I will present my real question. I will be coming back for a 5th year (although I have graduated), I have decided to take additional courses (which will not be 10 courses; probably 4 or 5) in order to be able to apply out West (Alberta). This is because I would need physics, biochemistry, English literature...

For a regular applicant that took 10 courses every year for four yours, would they qualify for the weighting formula if they take these additional courses (not 10 courses) after graduation? Would it be the same outcome in my situation?

If one took 10 courses for each of their four years, then they get the waiting formula applied to those years and every course from the 5th year (if they take less than 10) will be counted. I would imagine if you are granted the weighting formula after submitting an appeal, then you as well would get the same conditions.

Archived