Premed 101 Forums

Best 2 years for GPA?

For applicants who have completed four or more full-time years of post-secondary transferable course work, the admissions cumulative (academic) average is calculated with the deletion of the lowest-year GPA, provided it is not the most recent completed year, nor the one and only year where 30 transferable units of course weight (five full-course equivalents) have been completed.

The number of years completed is determined by how many years you will have completed by April 30th of the year following the submission of your application.

Yes - you will be applying in October 2012, which means that you would have completed four years by april 30th of 2013

• 1 month later...

Hello All,

I was reading University of Alberta's admission requirement and came up with a question regarding - "30 units of course weight - five full-course equivalents - must be taken during one academic year".

I am a York University student and my second year was as follows:

Fall:

BiochemI 4.0

microEconomics 3.0

Biostatistics 3.0

Physics 3.0

Human Phys 3.0

Winter:

BiochemII 4.0

macroEconomics 3.0

Genetics 4.0

Physics 3.0

does this year fulfill a full course load with 30 credits requirement for Alberta?

Thank you,

Yup looks like they add up to 30 credits. I didn't know that you get an extra credit for the lab component. I have taken classes with labs and only gotten the standard 3 credits.

Hello All,

I was reading University of Alberta's admission requirement and came up with a question regarding - "30 units of course weight - five full-course equivalents - must be taken during one academic year".

Fall:

BiochemI 4.0

microEconomics 3.0

Biostatistics 3.0

Physics 3.0

Human Phys 3.0

Winter:

BiochemII 4.0

macroEconomics 3.0

Genetics 4.0

Physics 3.0

does this year fulfill a full course load with 30 credits requirement for Alberta?

Thank you,

Hello All,

Fall:

BiochemI 4.0

microEconomics 3.0

Biostatistics 3.0

Physics 3.0

Human Phys 3.0

Winter:

BiochemII 4.0

macroEconomics 3.0

Genetics 4.0

Physics 3.0

Thank you,

Just to be on the safe side, you should contact admission office. Although, the total credits add up to 30, but you do not satisfy the "five full-course equivalents". At the U of A, lab credits are not separated. By the way, you only need 30 credits-five full-course equivalents in one year as long as you are not expecting that year to be dropped (i.e. it being the lowest GPA year).

Can anyone confirm if you are required to have 10 course per year totalling to 30 credits or can you have less then 10 courses, but still totalling 30 credits?

E.g.

Semester I

Class 1 - 5 credits

Class 2 - 4 credits

Class 3 - 4 credits

Class 4 - 3 credits

Semester II

Class 1 - 5 credits

Class 2 - 4 credits

Class 3 - 4 credits

Class 4 - 3 credits

8 classes in total, but 32 credits completed.

Thank you!

Archived