Premed 101 Forums

Is taking Biochem 3386 (clinical) really such a good idea?

i heard biochem 3386 (clinical biochemistry) is a good course to take, because it is straightforward and easy.

i picked up the course package book from last year from a friend, and skimmed through it.

it looks TERRIBLE

there are no concepts, just a bunch of random facts and numbers to memorize with no rhyme or reason or overall story

sometimes there are some concepts, but the author attempts to explain them in 4-5 lines, and it makes no sense. in one instance, he tries to explain something, and links to a web page with more info. the web page takes about 10 paragraphs to explain the concept, but the prof condensed it into 4-5 lines, and it made no sense. the WHOLE COURSE is like this.

200 pages of random details about somebody's job (clinical biochemist) to memorize. why take this course when i can take something like classics, and have 200 pages of a book to read that actualyl makes sense?

are you guys REALLY sure that clinical biochem is easy?

If it is easy, what about it is easy? I really don't see this and im starting to think this is a cruel joke against western premeds.

Haha I took both classics and clinical biochem. If your just looking for an elective then go with classics, whereas if you need a med sci course to fill your requirements go with biochem. It's easy in the sense that there is little application and mostly memorization. All you need to know in the course is just the packet, so memorize it and you will be fine.

Haha I took both classics and clinical biochem. If your just looking for an elective then go with classics, whereas if you need a med sci course to fill your requirements go with biochem. It's easy in the sense that there is little application and mostly memorization. All you need to know in the course is just the packet, so memorize it and you will be fine.

Did you take 2300 with lamari?

Clinical biochem was a good course to take.

Its not easy compared to say, earth rocks, but it is easier than other 3000 level med sci courses I've taken.

It was the most relevant course to medicine I've ever taken, and was often very interesting. I must confess that I rarely went to class, only the study guide was testable.

Its nice that its only midterm, final and both non-cumulative at 50% each. Also I heard the course coordinator is forgiving for marks, like he'll bump an 84 to an 85.

i heard biochem 3386 (clinical biochemistry) is a good course to take, because it is straightforward and easy.

i picked up the course package book from last year from a friend, and skimmed through it.

it looks TERRIBLE

there are no concepts, just a bunch of random facts and numbers to memorize with no rhyme or reason or overall story

sometimes there are some concepts, but the author attempts to explain them in 4-5 lines, and it makes no sense. in one instance, he tries to explain something, and links to a web page with more info. the web page takes about 10 paragraphs to explain the concept, but the prof condensed it into 4-5 lines, and it made no sense. the WHOLE COURSE is like this.

200 pages of random details about somebody's job (clinical biochemist) to memorize. why take this course when i can take something like classics, and have 200 pages of a book to read that actualyl makes sense?

are you guys REALLY sure that clinical biochem is easy?

If it is easy, what about it is easy? I really don't see this and im starting to think this is a cruel joke against western premeds.

I've heard that the course is just a bunch of memorization without much principled or conceptual work. If you're good at memorization or you find the material easy - it's not that hard of a course. But otherwise, there's tons of other options.

• 2 weeks later...

guys,

what do you have to do in this course to do well (90+)?

where do the questions come from? lectures, book, or both?

are the questions really hard/detailed or easy/general or somewhere in between?

i feel like i'm setting myself up to fail by taking it

guys,

what do you have to do in this course to do well (90+)?

where do the questions come from? lectures, book, or both?

are the questions really hard/detailed or easy/general or somewhere in between?

i feel like i'm setting myself up to fail by taking it

All the questions are from class notes. Make sure you go to classes and take good notes. Just remember the important details and you ll have no problem aceing this course.

Archived