Premed 101 Forums

Credit Card Comparison

Hi guys.

Well, I did a bunch of research, and he is what I found.

I compiled a list of the TOP travel cards from a few of the best Line of Credit offers from financial institutions. Their LOCs are pretty much the same.

What might separate them is their credit cards.

Here is a link to a compilation of lines of credit that was done by UBC.

http://med.ubc.ca/files/2012/02/SLOC-2012-2013.pdf

Here is an excel spread sheet that compiles the credit cards.

Some are comparable to each other. Others are not.

Remember, these are the top cards, and I'm not even sure that the banks will offer them to us unless a parent co-signs.

Here it is http://www.weebly.com/weebly/apps/readDraft.php?draftId=105034883822802961&userId=8887647

Thanks for making this chart up. RBC Avion is actually 2% return not 1% which actually makes it #1 for redemption. 1 dollar gets you 1 RBC point, but the catch is 15,000 RBC points gets you $300 in travel.

Also you forgot Scotia which has a good perk of 5% cashback on all flights you purchase with your card.

Thanks for making this chart up. RBC Avion is actually 2% return not 1% which actually makes it #1 for redemption. 1 dollar gets you 1 RBC point, but the catch is 15,000 RBC points gets you $300 in travel.

Also you forgot Scotia which has a good perk of 5% cashback on all flights you purchase with your card.

Yea, if you compare the redeeming schedule it's better than most. But flights have to be booked through the RBC rewards website I think. Anyways.

Gonna shoot for RBC or the BMO travel elite. Otherwise will go with NB cause of the great travel coverage. Which will be huge when traveling abroad in the summer time. Such a tough call. One thing i've been made aware of though, is that it's important to be aware of what happens to your interest rate on the line of credit after you graduate from medical school.

One comment: the RBC Infinite Avion rewards schedule is non-linear, you can't assign a direct conversion from points to $$ because it depends on the type of flight. For example, I'm flying BC to Ontario, but I found a flight for $348. This will fall under long-haul flights under RBC's plan instead of short-haul, and will cost 35,000 points instead of 25,000, whereas the same cost flight will be 25,000 points if I'm flying Ontario - Quebec, etc.

One comment: the RBC Infinite Avion rewards schedule is non-linear, you can't assign a direct conversion from points to $$ because it depends on the type of flight. For example, I'm flying BC to Ontario, but I found a flight for $348. This will fall under long-haul flights under RBC's plan instead of short-haul, and will cost 35,000 points instead of 25,000, whereas the same cost flight will be 25,000 points if I'm flying Ontario - Quebec, etc.

Yea...sort of one of the drawbacks of this card... but you can also redeem points at a rate of 5000 points = 50$.

I just got offered the infinite avion from RBC by my local branch. Free for medical school, and during residency. Pretty awesome deal. I didn't even have to haggle. It was different from branch to branch. I think because of this, I will be going with RBC. If I can get a similar deal from National Bank, or BMO then I would be more inclined to go with their rewards plans and credit cards. That's what I'll be doing tomorrow.

Yea, if you compare the redeeming schedule it's better than most. But flights have to be booked through the RBC rewards website I think.

I think that's true but the website should offer the same rates as any other booking site. I have to book my flights through Scotia's reward site too, but I've compared the flight costs to Travelocity , Expedia etc. and they're always identical.

Archived