Premed 101 Forums

Worth the risk?

a1b1

I have been contemplating this idea for a couple of weeks now and would like to get the input of our members.

At the end of next fall I will have 45 university credits completed. If I apply to sherbrooke they will place me within the university category. Unfortunately, the number of applicants they accept from the university category compared to the cegep category is quite low, also the waitlist only moves about 20 spots, where as the cegep waitlist moves ~120-150 spots.

Would it be a good idea to only do 42 credits next semester as to place myself into a category that may give me an "easier" shot at being accepted?

Below is a list of pros and cons regarding this risk, if you can give any insight or more information on any of these I would gladly appreciate it.

The Good

- Sherbrooke cegep waitlist moves alot

- Sherbrooke cegep category accepts more candidates

- I would have 4 courses next semester, meaning i could do much better on all of them.

The Bad

- I would have 6 courses during the winter semester, which may or may not be detrimental to my gpa

- University waitlist category does not move much

- Sherbrooke does not accept many students from the university category with respect to the cegep category.

- Sherbrooke would calculate my CAG as 84% university grades and 16% cegep grades (currently have a 4.1/4.3 gpa and 29 cegep rscore - no idea what CAG this will give or if it even is going to be enough)

- I probably would not be able to apply to UdM since I will not have 45 credits, but then again they only accept like 8 people, so the odds are already quite low.

Given the above pros and cons do you think it would be a good idea to adopt this strategy for the upcoming academic year? or would it be better to go with the normal route (5 credits/semester)?

Also, do you know anyone who has done this strategy? If so did it work in their favor? Finally, is there a difference between getting into med from cegep or university? If i get in from the cegep applicant pool, will i be required to do 1 year of premed? or will it be the standard 4 years? Any other information you can add will also be of great value.

Thanks

• 2 months later...
I have been contemplating this idea for a couple of weeks now and would like to get the input of our members.

At the end of next fall I will have 45 university credits completed. If I apply to sherbrooke they will place me within the university category. Unfortunately, the number of applicants they accept from the university category compared to the cegep category is quite low, also the waitlist only moves about 20 spots, where as the cegep waitlist moves ~120-150 spots.

Would it be a good idea to only do 42 credits next semester as to place myself into a category that may give me an "easier" shot at being accepted?

Below is a list of pros and cons regarding this risk, if you can give any insight or more information on any of these I would gladly appreciate it.

The Good

- Sherbrooke cegep waitlist moves alot

- Sherbrooke cegep category accepts more candidates

- I would have 4 courses next semester, meaning i could do much better on all of them.

The Bad

- I would have 6 courses during the winter semester, which may or may not be detrimental to my gpa

- University waitlist category does not move much

- Sherbrooke does not accept many students from the university category with respect to the cegep category.

- Sherbrooke would calculate my CAG as 84% university grades and 16% cegep grades (currently have a 4.1/4.3 gpa and 29 cegep rscore - no idea what CAG this will give or if it even is going to be enough)

- I probably would not be able to apply to UdM since I will not have 45 credits, but then again they only accept like 8 people, so the odds are already quite low.

Given the above pros and cons do you think it would be a good idea to adopt this strategy for the upcoming academic year? or would it be better to go with the normal route (5 credits/semester)?

Also, do you know anyone who has done this strategy? If so did it work in their favor? Finally, is there a difference between getting into med from cegep or university? If i get in from the cegep applicant pool, will i be required to do 1 year of premed? or will it be the standard 4 years? Any other information you can add will also be of great value.

Thanks

Considering your rather 'low' R-Score for MED, DEFINITELY get to 45+ credits in order for them to solely consider your Uni grades. You haven't precised the program you are enrolled in, but simply put, by completing 45+ credits and maintaining such GPA, you have very very good chances of at least getting an invite to the MEM+TAAMUS

PS: Mathematically, you have WAY GREATER chances of getting in as Uni student than a CEGEP student once you get to the interview process.

Considering your rather 'low' R-Score for MED, DEFINITELY get to 45+ credits in order for them to solely consider your Uni grades. You haven't precised the program you are enrolled in, but simply put, by completing 45+ credits and maintaining such GPA, you have very very good chances of at least getting an invite to the MEM+TAAMUS

PS: Mathematically, you have WAY GREATER chances of getting in as Uni student than a CEGEP student once you get to the interview process.

Thanks! :)

That's the route i ended up going with, glad it was the right one.

Archived