Premed 101 Forums

Former neo-Nazi teens turn into pot-smoking liberal hippies

ciel999

I don't know if you've ever heard of Lamb and Lynx, the twins from the band Prussian Blue. But they became quite famous for supporting racism and white supremacy, years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prussian_Blue

Personally, I think they are talented musicians. Here is a live performance: http://www.youtube.com/verify_controversy?next_url=/watch%3Fv%3Drjh9YQHvg4w

Recently however, they started to turn from being racists into peace-loving hippies. But what exactly caused their change of heart? POT! That's right, it was pot.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/drug-law/twins-lamb-and-lynx-gaede-turn-racists-peace-loving-hippies-thanks-marijuana

So, the point of this thread?

Stop the hatin' and spread the love. Smoke pot.

2m3hjco.jpg

Bob Marley R.I.P. 1945-1981

I don't want to ruin your buzz, and I figure this thread is mostly trolling, but I am going to respond anyways as I see this as an interesting example of the failures of news media in doing basic things like fact checking.

This "change due to pot" meme popped up a year after the actual story appeared in The Daily when someone either accidentally or purposefully got the story wrong (while referencing the original story) and that wrong story has been picked up by other media like the Huffpo (who all also reference the piece from The Daily without, apparently, reading it).

The original story does mention pot use, started in 2010 (long after their transition from white supremacist beliefs), being very helpful for their medical conditions. However, it also talks about their ACTUAL reasons for their ideological changes which started much earlier and was recognized as early as 2006 by their hard-core white supremacist "fans" who did not take the changes too kindly. This change followed a move to Montana (and with it enrolment in public schools instead of home schooling) in early 2006. From The Daily piece:

The twins’ mother, April Gaede, who has been a prominent member of racist fringe groups like the National Alliance and the National Vanguard, brought up her daughters with the ethos of white nationalism — a mix of racial pride, anti-immigrant hostility, Holocaust denial and resistance to the encroachment of “muds,” i.e., Jews and nonwhites.

But after enrolling in public school and moving to Montana — a predominantly white state, albeit one with a decidedly hippie-ish vibe — Lamb and Lynx decided they simply no longer believed what they’d been taught.

But after enrolling in public school and moving to Montana — a predominantly white state, albeit one with a decidedly hippie-ish vibe — Lamb and Lynx decided they simply no longer believed what they’d been taught.

That's because they wanted to fit in at school. If they held onto their white supremacist beliefs, they would be ostracized by the community, even though it is a predominantly white one.

But wouldn't it be reassuring to know that pot may also have played a role in their change of beliefs?

That's because they wanted to fit in at school.

Perhaps. However, people often change their worldview when they go from having a single worldview imposed on them to being exposed to multiple worldviews. If they were only interested in fitting in then I suspect that they would adopt a more liberal appearance when at school, but also revert to their extreme white supremacist when performing music in front of those fans. They did not do the latter, got booed and stopped performing at those venues.

But wouldn't it be reassuring to know that pot may also have played a role in their change of beliefs?

I am not interested in finding things reassuring, or in searching out ancedotes which confirm beliefs that I hold. I don't smoke pot myself. Have not done so in the past and have no plans to do so in the future. At the same time I do support the legalization of it for reasons that I consider to be rational and evidence-based.

If they were only interested in fitting in then I suspect that they would adopt a more liberal appearance when at school, but also revert to their extreme white supremacist when performing music in front of those fans. They did not do the latter, got booed and stopped performing at those venues.

That sounds about right.

I remember reading an article mentioning a time when the twins performed a cover of Bob Dylan's song, Knockin' on Heaven's Door, in front of a crowd of skinheads. They ended up getting booed by the crowd simply because Bob Dylan was a Jew. The twins later stated, "if people don't like our music, then don't go to the f*cking show."

what about amphetamine (i'm prescribed it, so it's legal in my hands, in yours… it's possession with the intent to distribute) pure mdma, psychadelics used responsibly (DMT, LSD, magic mushrooms)

i have a real problem with a lot of hardcore pro-marijuana activists… it's that they try and distance themselves from other drugs whiches illegality is equally as socially deleterious to society. i also find most of them to be quite asinine and ignorant. what is the psychopharmacology of the drug, what are the long term effects (in terms of pure, not street dosing), what are the economic interests for and against (financial interest which serve drug prohibition are the reason for most drugs illegality… i know anslinger's whole life story, marijuana tax act, the laguardia committee report… can explain how local police seizures, the artificial high tax on consumers (say cocaine… 8000 percent of pharmaceutical cost to the rich, tricking back to the dealer, who is arrested and has assets seized, funding a police department entirely on seizures based on artificially created high prices by illegalization… then the guy goes to private prisons we pay for, is exposed to violent offenders who change his actions and more money for prisons… more prison guards, psychologists, medical staff etc… lets not forget the law enforcement community, public defenders, officers, labs, detectives, corrections officers, rehab people… the subspeialized car, automobile, airplane, even underwater carriers to avoid radars industries, the scientists to come up with the bs research showing this stuff is dangeous, the ad agencies running anti drug campaigns (some drugs are, but some aren't, and this is so peer reviewed up the ass it's a joke…) at who's cost mostly mexicans, south americans, the poor, ethnic minorities of the us. anyways… please stop complaining, there are people who can give real insights into the issues, who know the complex histories, facts, etc. and you discredit them by making them seem like one dimensional pot heads...

Archived