Premed 101 Forums

Which courses should you take in order to do your best on MCAT?

Tacrolimus

Hey all,

I'm still thinking whether I want to pursue Medicine or not, but planning on writing the MCAT next summer.

I realize that, technically, you don't need to take any specific courses to do the MCAT. But I think it would significantly cut down study time if I take courses that covers MCAT material.

Here's what I've already done at University level related to MCAT stuff:

- Intro CHEM I and II

- Organic CHEM I

- Intro BIOL I (covered cell stuff, trancription and translation, photosynthesis and cellular respiration)

I'm doing Organic CHEM II, BIOCH and both intro level Physics next year.

So my question is:

- Should I take second year courses in Cell Biology and Genetics for MCAT?

Is an advanced course really necessary, or will a little bit of studying on my own be OK?

I'm assuming I should be good for PS. Verbal... well, you can't really take a course for that. BS is where I'm a little unclear about.

EDIT: I'm also taking a full year Physiology course too... just because I love it!

If you really wanna gun, get the mcat books and study them NOW, during christmas break and reading week. Almost everything you need to know will be from the books so that when you start it is all review.

Physiology will be a course that can help you out a lot in BS.

If you really wanna gun, get the mcat books and study them NOW, during christmas break and reading week. Almost everything you need to know will be from the books so that when you start it is all review.

Physiology will be a course that can help you out a lot in BS.

Alright... I should definitely start now. Which ones would you recommend?

I've heard that Princeton is excellent for Verbal (but too difficult when compared to actual AAMC's practice exams) and ExamKracker is good for BS and PS.

I'm sure I'm going to be needing a lot of help in Verbal. I hate reading comprehension.

EDIT: I think I should be okay with BS and PS. I will be doing OCHEM in Winter, Physiology is full year and second Physics in May, and then plan on writing the MCAT towards the end of August. I have a fairly good understanding of intro biology and general chemistry.

I should probably get started with Verbal this summer, eh?

So I compared the material that I see in prep books to what is taught in class.

You should definitely take Physio. That will cover half of bio for you!

I also took Genetics and Microbio. If you have an idea of basic genetics, then don't take it. If not, then I recommend it.

So I compared the material that I see in prep books to what is taught in class.

You should definitely take Physio. That will cover half of bio for you!

I also took Genetics and Microbio. If you have an idea of basic genetics, then don't take it. If not, then I recommend it.

Alright, thank you. I will look at the prep stuff and see if I can understand Genetics. If not, I'll take the course.

intro bio should have the genetics needed for mcat. dont take a separate course for that

you need more physics courses darling ;)

I agree. There isn't a lot of detail to learn about Genetics for the MCAT. But if one likes the subject and wants to get a really broad understanding of the subject, then it would be good to idea to take it.

intro bio should have the genetics needed for mcat. dont take a separate course for that

you need more physics courses darling ;)

Yeah, I know. I'm taking two courses (with labs) next year. :(

I agree. There isn't a lot of detail to learn about Genetics for the MCAT. But if one likes the subject and wants to get a really broad understanding of the subject, then it would be good to idea to take it.

I'd love to take Genetics but it comes with a lab meaning extra work. I'd rather avoid it if I can understand the material (whatever is on MCAT) on my own. We were taught some Genetics in Grade 12, but I'm not sure whether that will be sufficient.

I'd love to take Genetics but it comes with a lab meaning extra work. I'd rather avoid it if I can understand the material (whatever is on MCAT) on my own. We were taught some Genetics in Grade 12, but I'm not sure whether that will be sufficient.

Okay yes do exactly that. Have you looked at a prep book for bio yet? See how well you can understand and learn from that and try some questions and passages to test your understanding.

Archived