Premed 101 Forums

I just ran into a bit of an odd situation though when looking into this. Any thoughts?

At Mac we have 7 weeks of electives in July and August after 1st yr and then 17 weeks of electives during our actual clerkship starting that November. But on all of the visiting elective websites they state that in order to qualify to apply for their electives you have to be in your clerkship phase and/or final two years of study. Does anyone know if this means that those first seven weeks of electives in the summer can only be electives at Mac then?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just ran into a bit of an odd situation though when looking into this. Any thoughts?

At Mac we have 7 weeks of electives in July and August after 1st yr and then 17 weeks of electives during our actual clerkship starting that November. But on all of the visiting elective websites they state that in order to qualify to apply for their electives you have to be in your clerkship phase and/or final two years of study. Does anyone know if this means that those first seven weeks of electives in the summer can only be electives at Mac then?

I just recently met a 1st year mac student on elective at McGill.

You need to get creative and contact the various departments explaining the unique curriculum.

At Queen's we get 16-18 weeks of electives + 5 weeks for electives/interviews.

Edit: There's actually quite a bit of clerkship scheduling variability across schools. Ie: At Queen's we get 5-6 weeks of core surgery vs. the 8 weeks that UofT students get; at Queen's we get 10-12 weeks of internal medicine vs. the 8 weeks that UofT students get.

In our Mac admissions package it says we have 7 weeks before our last block of preclerkship classes and then it says during our actual clerkship we have another 17 weeks ( 6months total unless it was a misprint) but maybe some of that 17 week elective block is for interviews too like aKGDH said above .. im not sure though

Can the first seven weeks of electives only be done at Mac? The answer is no. Will you be able to go anywhere you want in any specialty you want? The answer to that is also, most likely, no.

During the seven week elective block, we're still considered "pre-clerks" and thus getting electives at non-Mac schools can be tricky, but not necessarily impossible (I believe UBC prohibits us outright and at U of T we have to call ourselves "observers" and not elective students...other schools I don't know so I can't say). A lot of students, besides doing electives at Mac, do electives with other medical electives programs (i.e. the Rural Ontario Medical Program, The Northern Ontario Medical Program, the wilderness elective, etc...). Others also go abroad (Ireland and Uganda seem to be popular choices but people have gone all over). Honestly though, don't sweat it- there will be an information session for your class in the Fall where you will get to see what your options are. My only advice is try to book early, but if you don't, don't sweat it- you'll get something.

Yeah, we get a full 12 weeks of surgery -gag- but 2 is anesthesia and only 4 is gen surg

I feel like I lucked out in this regard...:) Queen's only makes us do 6 weeks of surgery (3 weeks gen surg + 3 weeks urology/ortho) + 1-2 weeks of surgery sub-spec (I'm doing ENT for 1 week) + 2 weeks anesthesia. If I had to do 12 weeks of pure surgery I'd probably shoot myself or become depressed.

You also mentioned the ICE thing...It may seem annoying to have a bunch of time stuck in the classroom in 4th year but consider the alternative: The Queen's curriculum has us returning to the classroom for 4 weeks 4 times our entire clerkship! Ie: All of September = transition to clerkship; all of December = classroom etc. They've gotta do the teaching somewhere in our clerkship..:)

Archived