Premed 101 Forums

UA Med program timeline

Guest el pansito

Guest el pansito

Hey guys,

I understand the UofA program more or less, but is there some sort of "timeline" that I can view that describes the program (ie. when clerkship starts and ends, when electives are)?

Also, i'm wondering what happens after xmas in 4th year?

Thanks.

Guest summervirus

I was given a timeline years ago. Most of it has remained unchanged since then. The biggest changes are in the preclerkship years (e.g. Intro block and Triple I block are shorter). More up to date information is available online.

When looking at the clerkship years, you'll notice on my timeline (above) that there are 5 weeks of electives in 3rd year and 8 weeks in 4th year. These are the minimum requirements. There is also "unscheduled" time of 8 weeks in 3rd year and 12 weeks in 4th year that are for electives too but are not required. Students that have already completed the minimum requirements can opt to use the time for vacation, for example. Something else that's not recorded on the timeline is that the summer between 2nd and 3rd year (approximately 3 months) can be used for electives that count towards clerkship. Many students use a portion of the summer for electives (so that they can take more vacation time later).

The class is divided up into tracks for clerkship (i.e. around 4 tracks in 3rd year and 5 tracks in 4th year). Each track is scheduled to go through the rotations in a different order. For example, in 3rd year, track 1 will go through surgery first, whereas track 2 will go through medicine first. Clerkship starts early in 3rd year around mid-September and ends at the end of 4th year around mid-March. After Christmas of 4th year, students go through the CaRMS interview and match and are given around a week off of rotations for this. Then, we are given a review course and study time to prepare for the UofA's final comprehensive exams and the national exam (LMCC).

Guest MDmmmsure

I'm having difficulty understanding the numbers here:

3rd year:

3 weeks link block + 5 weeks elective + 12 weeks med/anesth + 24 weeks (paeds, surg, obs/gyn, psych) + 1 weeks vacation + 4 weeks rural family med + 8 weeks unscheduled = 57 weeks (more than 1 year)????

4th year:

6 weeks surgery + 3 weeks urban family med + 3 weeks paeds + 2 weeks geri + 4 weeks EM + 8 weeks electives + 12 weeks unscheduled + 1 week carms = 39 weeks

total number of weeks = 96 (just shy of two years)...if third year started in september, wouldn't that take you at least until the end of june of fourth year?

I'm sure the answer will make me look dumb!

Guest summervirus

Sorry, my bad. When I mentioned that clerkship starts in mid-September, I didn't include Link block because I still count it as pre-clerkship. Also, some changes have been made in the last two years. Link block has been cut down to (I think) 2 weeks and the 8 weeks of "unscheduled" time includes the 5 weeks of elective (i.e. if 5 weeks are used for elective, then only 3 weeks are left over for vacation time). I was unclear before... sorry! You're not bad at math... I am! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mirrille

For anyone who is still confused:

In third year, you get 8 weeks of "unscheduled" time, 2 of which are around Christmastime and which you are expected to use as vacation. That leaves 6 to do with as you please, as long as you do a minimum of 5 weeks of electives some time that year, meaning that you could potentially take an extra 1 week vacation. Now, you get some extra wiggle room because if you use your summer previous to 3rd year to do electives, it counts towards your 3rd year elective quota.

Now it gets even more complicated, but trust me, it is to your advantage. Say you do 6 weeks of elective in 3rd year instead of the minimum required 5. That means you did 1 week extra. You can take that 1 week and have it count towards your 4th year quota!

I have no idea if that clears things up or makes it more confusing...:b

Guest Lactic Folly

So if we do 6 weeks of electives in the summer before 3rd year, that extra week could count towards 4th year as well?

Archived