Premed 101 Forums

Non-Trad- best prep course?

chenoa

So my June mcat attempt resulted in a 29Q and I'm considering a prep course in Fall 2012 or Spring 2013.

I have a non-trad background with only high school sciences, plus a little intro micro/physiology/anatomy in UG. I self studied for my last mcat.

What do you think about TPR's live classroom course vs their online class and TPR's suitability to my background?

I've got a similar background, and I'll be writing my MCAT for the first (and hopefully only!) time on Friday. I self-studied using the ExamKrackers materials (including their Audio Osmosis), which I found to be pretty much sufficient. It keeps everything to basically the minimum of what you need to know, and doesn't feed you any extraneous information. For the few topics where I felt like I needed more background, I used Khan Academy (http://www.khanacademy.org), which was incredibly helpful.

Obviously I won't know how well it worked until I get my scores back, but I've done all of the practice tests and my scores have been consistently in the 33-34 range, which I'm happy with considering I haven't seen this material since high school (and even then, I never took Biology or Orgo).

I'd recommend ExamKrackers if you're good at self-directed learning, and you're able to detect your own strengths and weaknesses well. I think it gives a good idea of what to expect on the MCAT without bogging you down and confusing you with too much information, but if you're the type of person who prefers to have that extra info, then you'd probably be best to go with a different prep company.

Thanks for your replies.

I don't think there is a Berkeley Review in my area and I'm looking for a classroom course (or at least a good online option).

I've also found Khan Academy good, and even better is freelanceteacher on Youtube.

I've also considered an EK course, but I already own all the books in the complete study package . . .

Archived