Premed 101 Forums

New Year MCAT

jdr44

Hi all,

How are you?

I am trying to decide whether or not write my MCAT whilst in school. I am starting my second UG degree in September 2012, at UBC in Food Nutrition and Health.

In the first semester, I have 4 lecture classes to attend and 1 online course. In second semester I have 5 online courses (just to allow my living status to be changed if necessary).

I have written my MCAT two times previously and scored horribly on both. In 2009, I scored a 20P and last summer a 16O. Ouch.

Unfortunately during my first MCAT my computer crashed, resulting in a less than hoped for score (I know its no excuse but it did affect me) and last summer I suffered a severe loss in my family and decided to write anyway.

Despite previous occasions, I think if I take an appropriate prep class (in the evenings) and put in my time it is possible for me to achieve a good score on the MCAT.

I just don't know if it would be possible to write in the beginning of the new year, whilst being in school. Could I simply treat it as a 6th course?

Any comments about this would be helpful. I am aware the scores I have attained in the past are horrible, you don't have to remind me :)

Cheers.

Hi all,

How are you?

I am trying to decide whether or not write my MCAT whilst in school. I am starting my second UG degree in September 2012, at UBC in Food Nutrition and Health.

In the first semester, I have 4 lecture classes to attend and 1 online course. In second semester I have 5 online courses (just to allow my living status to be changed if necessary).

I have written my MCAT two times previously and scored horribly on both. In 2009, I scored a 20P and last summer a 16O. Ouch.

Unfortunately during my first MCAT my computer crashed, resulting in a less than hoped for score (I know its no excuse but it did affect me) and last summer I suffered a severe loss in my family and decided to write anyway.

Despite previous occasions, I think if I take an appropriate prep class (in the evenings) and put in my time it is possible for me to achieve a good score on the MCAT.

I just don't know if it would be possible to write in the beginning of the new year, whilst being in school. Could I simply treat it as a 6th course?

Any comments about this would be helpful. I am aware the scores I have attained in the past are horrible, you don't have to remind me :)

Cheers.

I wouldn't recommend it. The first time I wrote the MCAT, I was working part time and studying, and it was just too much. I burnt out way before my test date and my score really suffered. I imagine it would be even harder to do with a full course load. I'm writing for the second time on Friday. This time, I studied full-time (60+hours/week) for 6 weeks. I'm much more prepared this time around, and I'm confident this will be the last time I have to write it.

I also think your prep will benefit a lot from your second degree. I'm in a similar situation, doing a second UG in nutrition. I finished my first year, and did nearly all of my core nutrition courses last year. I found that my knowledge of nutrition has prepared me for both of the science sections. In fact, a lot of the topics that appear in the BS passages are related to nutrition, so I've encountered them before.

Archived