Premed 101 Forums

University of Calgary GPA Conversion Chart!

Hi everyone,

I am a third year York University student, my question is regarding the UCalgary's GPA conversion chart and that which criteria applies to me?

In the YorkU's official transcript all marks are listed as letter grades, but as you might be aware York also provides a GPA on a 9.0 scale. What confuses me is that letter grades at York are as follows: A+(9), A(8), B+(7), B(6), etc, there are no A-, B-, etc.

In the MD Application Manual posted in the UCalgary's website, http://www.ucalgary.ca/mdprogram/files/mdprogram/Applicant%20Manual%202012-13%20July%2017%20Update.pdf - it is mentioned that do not use the numerical conversion chart if the letter grade or percentile marks are provided.

Now here is the problem, on one hand York does provide the letter grades in the Official Transcript and in fact there is no sign of the numericals, on the other hand there aren't '-' minuses (there are no A-, B-, etc.) in the York grading system!

My question, how should I calculate my GPA? Which chart am I suppose to use?

Thank you,

• 4 months later...
I emailed them today, thank you.

What did they say? I found that confusing as well. I'm also a York University student. I'm not sure why they aren't using the OMSAS GPA conversion method.

If I use the OMSAS conversio, my current GPA will be 3.86 but if I use the U of Calgary it would be a 4.0. I'm confused lol

They use their own charts, because if they used the OMSAS for one university people would want them to use the OMSAS for all universities. They can't use OMSAS for all universities since in Alberta, it is much harder to get an A+ (because an A is the same: 4.00) and in some of my classes, it is reserved for exceptional cases of outstanding achievement. Even if you get 100% you might not get an A+ in those courses.

And of course, they can't disadvantage the Alberta students, so it is easier for them to give an advantage to non-Alberta students (by saying an A = A+ = 4.00 just like in Alberta, even though A+ is easier to get outside of Alberta) since the OOP students are already disadvantaged by residence.

They use their own charts, because if they used the OMSAS for one university people would want them to use the OMSAS for all universities. They can't use OMSAS for all universities since in Alberta, it is much harder to get an A+ (because an A is the same: 4.00) and in some of my classes, it is reserved for exceptional cases of outstanding achievement. Even if you get 100% you might not get an A+ in those courses.

And of course, they can't disadvantage the Alberta students, so it is easier for them to give an advantage to non-Alberta students (by saying an A = A+ = 4.00 just like in Alberta, even though A+ is easier to get outside of Alberta) since the OOP students are already disadvantaged by residence.

Ya makes sense. I wonder what will happen if I become an Alberta residence before my application (not that I'm gonna do that) :D

Archived