Premed 101 Forums

what should I do?

nervousnellie

Fast facts- scored a 35R on the MCAT, 11,10 14. The VR at 10 leaves me out of the running at Western and not in great shape for Mac and Queen's. Should I take the chance and re-write? I probably won't be able to do it until next spring when the MCAT changes.

First of all - wow! Great score overall! :D

My humblest of opinions:

Apply this year, assuming you are in 3rd year or above. If you can't rewrite until next year anyways, that at least buys you some time to think. You could get lucky and get in :). Correct me if I'm wrong, but 10 in VR might still be pretty good for Mac and Queen's, anyways. Come spring, if you haven't gotten in, I would really decide if investing a lot more time just for one school is worth it or not.

If you're confident and consistently scoring 35-40, go for it again. An 11 or 12 in VR can make a significant difference.

I think I'd have to agree. If your 35 was a fluke, I'd be more hesitant, but it sounds like you've been doing consistently well.

Is there no way that you could rewrite this summer while lots of the content is still fresh in your mind? If I were in your situation (and I wish I were! Your scores are great :P), the biggest factor that would be holding me back would be having to dedicate a significant amount of time next summer.

If you're confident and consistently scoring 35-40, go for it again. An 11 or 12 in VR can make a significant difference.

If your GPA is strong - I would say don't re-write. You'll be on a good fitting for everywhere (except Western). Mac's average VR is 10.6 but since GPA and VR are both increasing in weight proportionally, it may go up slightly but if your GPA is strong - you'll go up with it.

I would say apply States-side if you're concerned. They'll value your 35 - that's a great score.

I'll disagree with my colleague Philithy_kessel and say that you should hold with your score. No need to risk $&*#ing it up.

Archived