Premed 101 Forums

A Very Complicated Situation, is there a chance?

fuzzypharm

Hi Everybody,

I'm hoping I can get some advice here as I'm sitting here right now trying to plan the next year and a half of my life.

I have worked in the pharmacy field and I've decided this would be an awesome career and I can't believe I didn't consider it earlier!

I would like to apply to UBC pharm since they only take into consideration your first year prereqs (and other courses related to pharm if you're upper year). This works out well for me because I graduated and completed a degree already with a 1.8 GPA. Even though I was getting 70s and 80s in the end, there was a rough patch I had in 2nd year that my GPA never recovered from.

Is it silly to think you can get accepted after your first year if you get great grades and rock the PCAT?

Is it sillier to apply to just one pharm school? I've been in talks with every pharm school in Canada (minus the ones in Quebec) and it sounds like there is hope for me only at this school. To be fair though, I also haven't heard back from Manitoba yet either.

The next part lies in choosing a good uni where I can do my science prereqs, a uni that doesn't bell curve so I can ensure to receive and earn good grades.

I am currently taking high school credits online to fulfill my uni science course prereqs and to be prepared, it's going really well. My plan was to be finished my high school credits by the end of this year so I can apply to a uni in January 2013 and take 2 semesters of my science prereqs. I'm not going back to where I got my previous degree from because it's notorious for bell curving and doesn't provide a pleasant life science undergrad experience.

I'm realizing that not a lot of courses will be offered in January 2013 from various schools as they are a continuation of courses from the fall semester. So for example, I could take Biology II in January 2013, but not Biology I as it would have already been offered in the fall semester. There is no way I can start my uni prereq courses this upcoming fall.

So I might have to apply for next fall, what a waste of a year :(

I know there are a couple other schools that would not look at my entire degree completely, but I am most set on UBC since it offers a lot of seats, therefore a higher chance.

I am also worried that when it comes time to apply to pharmacy I'll have to submit all my transcripts, and the pharm school will see my previous degree was very crappy. However, if my science prereqs are very good do you think this will leverage my previous 1.8 GPA? I'm worried my previous degree is so awful that the admissions committee might have second thoughts on accepting me despite having good science prereqs.

I am thinking that if I have to apply next fall to get my science prereqs that I might go back to UofT where I got my previous degree and take a couple courses to at least bump that 1.8 GPA up. Still doesn't sit well with me that it's so awful. I'm also thinking if I start next fall it will give me all this time to learn on my own and review and be prepared. I don't think a person can ever be too prepared!

Are there any good schools that offer nice science courses that aren't bell curved or as difficult as the ones UofT offers. I'd ideally like to stay in Ontario to do this, but if I have to move to another province for a school like this I would highly consider this as I am determined in excelling at my science prereqs and not letting this 1.8 gpa hinder my future.

Any advice is appreciated guys, I have all the pharm school prerequisites and program information about every school on an excel sheet, so I've clearly been doing my homework lol. I obviously want to stay away from pharm schools that will look at my previous degree.

Thank you for all the help in advance!!

At the U of A, if you've done more years than required in completing your pre-reqs (as it's the case with you), they will look at pre-req GPA and your last two years.

Spread your pre-reqs over the course of two years, and take some interesting/easy courses to boost your GPA. Try applying everywhere, and hope it all works out.

NO PCAT required either.

At the U of A, if you've done more years than required in completing your pre-reqs (as it's the case with you), they will look at pre-req GPA and your last two years.

Spread your pre-reqs over the course of two years, and take some interesting/easy courses to boost your GPA. Try applying everywhere, and hope it all works out.

NO PCAT required either.

Yes, I heard about UofA (heard it's also very competitive...but then again what pharm school isn't?) and admissions there told me it's my last 2 years of full-time study. I never took full-time study consecutively for two years, so is it safe to assume all courses that make up the 2 full years of study would be considered?

Yes, I heard about UofA (heard it's also very competitive...but then again what pharm school isn't?) and admissions there told me it's my last 2 years of full-time study. I never took full-time study consecutively for two years, so is it safe to assume all courses that make up the 2 full years of study would be considered?

Yes.

Pharmacy pre-reqs GPA is weighted slightly more, and then they would consider the cumulative GPA for the two years.

If you're OOP, aim for 3.8 for higher.

Archived