Premed 101 Forums

Non-academic qualifications...what is enough?

Guest tallguy409

Guest tallguy409

Hey everybody,

I'm hoping to get some feedback here. I am finishing my third year in an Honours BSc here at the UofA and my numbers are as follows:

Cumulative GPA: 3.7-3.75 (awaiting this terms marks)

Pre-Req GPA: 3.87

MCAT: 14 Physics, 12 Bio, 11 VR, 'R' Written

I think from looking online that these numbers are more than adequete to apply. What I am wondering about is the non-academic stuff. I have worked doing research for 3 summers now, I am on a Bears Varsity Team, as well as a number of extracurricular things, so my extracurricular material also looks good. Where I am not sure is the "leadership", and "volunteering" sections. I have been an active member of Scouts Canada, volunteering and being a leader for the past 8 years. I also have been involved with the Student's Union's orientation program for two years. I also help with the "bear hugs" program, which gets athletes into the community, as role models etc.

My Questions are:

1) Is what I have right now good enough?

2) If not, what else can I do this summer to "volunteer" or show "leadership" that will not come across as a desparate resume boost? I despise the thought of volunteering just to get a "gold star" on a resume. If I were to volunteer for a week at a sports camp for example, would this be a significant enough event to put as one of my three "volunteering" activities?

I guess I just want to know how I can polish up this section of my application, so that I can look my best for the selection commitee, without selling myself out to volunteering simply for the rewards on the resume. Suggestions?

This is always a tricky area because what they are looking for is diversity of experience. Everyone is different so of course there is no standard as to what is enough. Since there is only a limited amount of space in which you can write about your volunteer work try to show diversity. So, for example, don't put all sports stuff or all working with kids stuff. Try to put in the activites that show as much of you as possible. I would go with one community activity, one sports activity, and one medical related activity or something. This shows diverse interests and makes you a more appealing candidate. Of course you want to pick activities which you were very involved in and preferably had a leadership role so don't sacrifice level of involvement for diversity. Its a fine balance but you sound like you have a lot of EC's so you shouldn't have a problem with this section. Good luck!

Guest Lactic Folly

I don't think it's necessarily bad to have a theme for your non-academic qualifications, as it makes you more memorable. What is more important is the quality of your involvement - significance of your role, skills/attitudes gained, accomplisihments - and how you can convey this, on top of the quantity/diversity of experience, which you seem to have.

Guest juicyprunes

Hey Tallguy,

I'm sure you've already heard this, but quality is more important than quantity. Admissions wants to see commitment and that you've learned something from your experiences regardless of whether or not they have anything to do with medicine.

You definitely do not NEED to get hospital/clinical experience unless it's something that you want to experience and learn more about. From personal experience, lack of hospital volunteering isn't an issue at all as long as you can demonstrate an understanding of the medical profession.

Good luck!

Archived