Premed 101 Forums

References

Hi everyone,

I am looking through the application and they require 3 references, one under each of the 3 categories:

1. Commitment to Community / Advocacy

2. Interpersonal Behaviour / Collaboration

3. Organizational and Management Skills / Leadership

I am curious what sources others are using/have used in the past for these categories.

I can't think of anyone who would be able to give me a strong reference letter for the first category. All my referees are professors. What should I do for #1?

Thanks!

I used a volunteer supervisor for #1 last year, and I'm using the same person again because she wrote me a really strong reference letter. That volunteer position related a lot to community building and advocacy so I thought it would be a good fit.

Do you do any volunteering that would help you to get a good reference for #1? If not, do you have any experience to which one of your prof referees can speak of (if you gave them a description of the activity or something to help them write about it)?

I volunteered in the hospital but don't know the volunteer coordinator that well. Last time I asked them for a reference letter, they gave me a generic letter which just verified that I volunteered there, my roles and the number of hours.

I also volunteered to organize/promote student workshops and orientations for new incoming students. I can try to get the manager from this position to write me a letter.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived